Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to replace the factory stereo with an aftermarket system with at least CarPlay and preferably, both AA and CP.
I want something that fits the dash nicely and looks near stock. I don't want any of the strange brands you have to order directly from China.

Apple says iOS 12 Carplay will support third party navigation. So, I would be able to use Google Maps or Waze with Caeplay so I wouldn't be stuck with Apple Maps as the only option.

This one looks good:

I think this is available on Crutchfield. I never heard of Boss, but since Crutchfield sells it, at least it would be easy to exchange and maybe some local stereo shops may also carry it.

The description on Youtube says steering wheel controls and backup camera will work with this.
So, the only thing I would lose is access to controlling things in the stock radio menus like door lock programming and access to the trip computer.
Is there any way to change door lock settings without having the stock radio installed?

Any thoughts on this stereo model and the brand in general?

This one is available now and is Carplay only
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BVCP967/Boss-BVCP9675.html

This one is coming soon and is on pre-order and will be both Carplay and Android Auto.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BVCP96A/Boss-BVCP9675A.html

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never buy BOSS.
Why not?

I'm looking for something that fits well and looks close to stock.
It needs Carplay, must work with factory steering wheel controls and backup camera, must have bluetooth microphone that works at least as well as the factory hardware, must boot up quickly when the car is started and must not have any legal warning confirmation screens you have to tap on every time you turn it on.

Nice to have features would be Android Auto compatibility, wireless Carplay or at least Siri Eyes free so it has some Siri functionality without having to plug it in.
Ideally, it would work with the factory USB ports and microphone so the installation looks more stock.

What are the best Carplay radios that will do what I want and look close to stock when the car is parked and the screen is off?

·
4,910 Posts
Pioneer or Kenwood. Android auto and Carplay are still on the higher end of price.

Boss and Dual are hit or miss. Some have no issues, while others say different.

Crutchfield will supply the install kit and a harness pigtail.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
^^^ This.
Spend a little more and get a unit that is Maestro-Ready, and add a MaestroRR interface.
That will retain not only your steering wheel controls, but allow custom mapping, as well as provide an actual direct PSI readout from your TPMS, as well as CEL monitoring/reporting and the ability to reset a CEL.
It'll run you a little over $1,000... I bought through Amazon, SonicElectronix and Crutchfield were about $400 higher.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If I get a stereo with Maestro RR will the factory USB port and factory Bluetooth microphone work on a 2017 Corolla?
Will I have access to door lock programming and trip computer?

What are the best dash kits available for the 2017 Corolla that will make the stereo install look very stock?

All the aftermarket car stereo videos demoing CarPlay show the person tapping on the touchscreen to access Siri voice commands. Do any of them work like the stock radio where you can just hold a steering wheel button to access voice commands without tapping on the screen?

Which aftermarket stereos are recommended for booting up quickly when you start the car and not requiring you to press on a legal disclaimer before using the head unit? I need to be able to start the car and immediately put the car in reverse and have the backup camera work and not have to sit and wait for the head unit to boot first.
Which are quick to re-pair Bluetooth from a cold start?

I also want a stereo that will remember which audio mode you had last used and won’t start playing music on your phone when it connects if you weren’t using it to play music the last time the radio was paired).

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
If I get a stereo with Maestro RR will the factory USB port and factory Bluetooth microphone work on a 2017 Corolla?
Will I have access to door lock programming and trip computer?

What are the best dash kits available for the 2017 Corolla that will make the stereo install look very stock?
The Metra and Scosch kits work nicely, but they are a gloss black and do not have the "glitter" that is barely apparent on the stock dash.
The factory BT mic will not work. It is a powered mic and the Maestro does not provide an output for it. You would use the mic that ships with the HU, plugged in directly.
There is an adapter cable available that will allow you to plug the OEM USB port into the HU. I have heard that it doesn't work with USB 3.0, but it works fine with my Galaxy S8, and unlike the factory port, it will actually provide enough power to charge the phone (but this is going to depend on the manufacturer of the HU).

The trip computer will depend on the manufacturer of the HU... my Pioneer has some "economy" functions but I'm not really interested in them and haven't looked into them, plus many of the functions require you to use the Pioneer proprietary interface rather than Android-Auto/Carplay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Will the factory USB port work for the CarPlay and Android Auto connections?
With the adapter cable, if the HU supports it, yes.
The adapter is separate from the Maestro unit... it's just a cable that connects to the factory plug that went into the OEM radio and converts it to a USB that can be plugged into the HU's port/cable.
My Pioneer has two ports, one for Android Auto and one for music and other functions... I connected the OEM to the AA port and use BT for streaming music when I'm not connected to AA (which I rarely use)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's 4 more...
Are those photos from an 11th generation Corolla and, if so, can you post daytime photos of what the stereo and dash kit look installed in a Corolla?

Which head unit is that and how long after starting the car does it take before you can use the Bluetooth and backup camera?
Are aftermarket head units generally faster or slower than the stock radio to boot up and be usable when you turn on the engine?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The factory BT mic will not work. It is a powered mic and the Maestro does not provide an output for it. You would use the mic that ships with the HU, plugged in directly.
Do the aftermarket mic installs work as well as the factory BT mic and is there any way to mount the mic unobtrusively and still have it positioned where it picks up well?

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Are those photos from an 11th generation Corolla and, if so, can you post daytime photos of what the stereo and dash kit look installed in a Corolla?

Which head unit is that and how long after starting the car does it take before you can use the Bluetooth and backup camera?
Are aftermarket head units generally faster or slower than the stock radio to boot up and be usable when you turn on the engine?
Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX (same as the 8200 but 8200 now comes with a backup camera that is not needed)
I haven't paid attention to the BT connect time, radio comes on almost immediately, and the backup camera pops up after maybe 10 seconds. It might take 45 seconds for the Nav map to load.

Not my car, but a decent image and video

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Do the aftermarket mic installs work as well as the factory BT mic and is there any way to mount the mic unobtrusively and still have it positioned where it picks up well?
I stuck mine to the top of the steering wheel shroud in front of the cluster. It's not obtrusive and seems to work fine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which aftermarket CarPlay stereos don't require you to tap the screen to acknowledge a legal disclaimer message every time you turn on the radio or activate CarPlay?
The Toyota stock radio has a message every time it starts, but you don't have to tap on it because it quickly goes off by itself. I don't want to replace it with an aftermarket radio that requires you to tap the screen to get rid of the message.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
My Pioneer has a "nag" screen on bootup, but self-bypasses without pressing the "OK" and the backup camera works even if the screen is up.
I don't remember if there is a "nag" screen on Android Auto or not... I seem to remember that there is. It is likely that this is an inherent part of AA/CP and no way around it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Pioneer has a "nag" screen on bootup, but self-bypasses without pressing the "OK" and the backup camera works even if the screen is up.
I don't remember if there is a "nag" screen on Android Auto or not... I seem to remember that there is. It is likely that this is an inherent part of AA/CP and no way around it.
I didn't have to tap on a nag screen with the stock Carplay radio in a late model Honda. So, it can't be required, but some manufacturers specific radio models may do it anyway and I want to avoid those.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are very few, as I understand it, that do NOT have the warning screen. I think it's required now...
It’s not required that you manually tap on it in factory installed radios except for to approve first time connections.
The nag screen pops up, but eventually goes away on its own.
Some aftermarket head unit manufacturers choose to force you to tap the screen every time you turn on the radio, but I think that’s just their policy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
6 Participants
steve9271
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing