Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 1MZ powered camrys, the stock tach receives its signal from the ECU. The tach I am purchasing will need to be calibrated based on the number of pulses per revolution(PPR). Does anyone know what the PPR is? I've got a 1997 camry ecu. Since its a wasted spark design, I'd guess it would be 2 but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2wickedtoyz said:
why would you put a tach on a car that has one already?
because I am redoing the entire gauge cluster since my speedometer does not work with the transmission I installed.

CamryPunk, I know where the wire is, I was just hoping somebody would know what the PPR is. Did your tach require calibration?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
SBCelicaGT said:
because I am redoing the entire gauge cluster since my speedometer does not work with the transmission I installed.

CamryPunk, I know where the wire is, I was just hoping somebody would know what the PPR is. Did your tach require calibration?
Nope. Cuz the Apexi one has a mini "computer in it so all I had to do was set the tach to "4 cylinder" and it was good to go.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
i think the thingy youre lookin for is the speed sense. i usually have the speed sense info but not for camry.

check www.the12volt.com under forum/cruise control, they might be able to hel pyou

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, i am installing a tachometer. I don't need the speed sensor signal. I need the pulses per revolution outputed from the ECU to the stock tach so that I can calibrate my aftermarket tach properly. I guess nobody has done an install on a v6 camry I suppose.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try it at idle and see what setting is right. You know what your idle should be at, because you've looked at your stock tach enough. Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DoubleEdgedWomb said:
Try it at idle and see what setting is right. You know what your idle should be at, because you've looked at your stock tach enough. Sorry I can't be more help.
Awesome thread revival! For the record... I still have that tach sitting in a box and just this week I decided to finally get around to finishing up my cluster. I think you are right in that I'll probably have to go by trial and error to get it to read correctly.

I'm finalizing my gauge plate design and hope to have it cut some time this month. This is what I'm working on:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts