Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback XSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Planning to purchase wheels and lowering springs soon. Looking at SSR’s and found one originally from an FRS. It’s 18x9.5 +40 and will come with 255/35 tires. Will this be too wide? Does anyone have a similar set up?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,056 Posts
Hey everyone! Planning to purchase wheels and lowering springs soon. Looking at SSR’s and found one originally from an FRS. It’s 18x9.5 +40 and will come with 255/35 tires. Will this be too wide? Does anyone have a similar set up?
I'm curious to see how many people go to a 17" size wheel and tire. Better ride and MPG for those that have 18" wheels and a better look and handling for those that have 16" wheels.

·
Registered
'20 Corolla SE 6MT Sedan
157 Posts
The factory 18" wheels look so much better than what is available in the crappy U.S. aftermarket, otherwise I would be tempted to go to a 17" wheel with more appropriate tires on my SE Sedan. I wish that Toyota would have done the 18" wheel design in a 17" instead.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,822 Posts
Take a look at their gallery if you want some ideas.

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback XSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious to see how many people go to a 17" size wheel and tire. Better ride and MPG for those that have 18" wheels and a better look and handling for those that have 16" wheels.
Take a look at their gallery if you want some ideas.
Yeah I'm fully aware of Fitment industries. Problem with their gallery is that when you search for 19 Corolla, it only shows the sedans, no hatchback and only 4 or 5 cars. I have to google corolla hatchback wheels for me to see the hatchbacks on their gallery.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,056 Posts
The factory 18" wheels look so much better than what is available in the crappy U.S. aftermarket, otherwise I would be tempted to go to a 17" wheel with more appropriate tires on my SE Sedan. I wish that Toyota would have done the 18" wheel design in a 17" instead.
I do love the look of the 18" OEM wheels too. I loved the design of my 17" OEM wheels on my 17 Corolla iM too. The problem with these wheels is that they are very heavy and could use more offset. I ended up looking for 2 years before finally buying some wheels that ticked off all of my likes. The Enkei TD5 wheels were much lighter, looked great and had better offset. I love them and nobody else is using them so my iM looks unique.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im thinking about getting the Enkei RPF1s, would this be good? I honestly dont care about looks that much, as long as it doesnt look bad. Only care about performance. So basically the best bang for the buck wheels... Need them to be as light as possible obv

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do love the look of the 18" OEM wheels too. I loved the design of my 17" OEM wheels on my 17 Corolla iM too. The problem with these wheels is that they are very heavy and could use more offset. I ended up looking for 2 years before finally buying some wheels that ticked off all of my likes. The Enkei TD5 wheels were much lighter, looked great and had better offset. I love them and nobody else is using them so my iM looks unique. View attachment 292031 View attachment 292032
Anyone knows the offset of our 18” Oem wheel?

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback XSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im thinking about getting the Enkei RPF1s, would this be good? I honestly dont care about looks that much, as long as it doesnt look bad. Only care about performance. So basically the best bang for the buck wheels... Need them to be as light as possible obv
Of course. RPF1’s look good on almost every car. I like em too

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
670 Posts
I have a set of RPF1's sitting in the bed of my truck. Been meaning to get up early to take them to be mounted/blanaced but yeah - I work nights so I like sleeping until noon at least. lol.

Son Yeoshen is also running them.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
670 Posts
Still not done with the set up, but here are my test fit results.

Enkei RPF1 - 17x9 +45
Falken Azenis 245/45/17 (yes, it's a bigger overall diameter set up than stock)

Will be lowering the front a little bit more, adding about -1 degree of camber on the front, and going with a +5mm spacer on the rear for sure, maybe +3mm on the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
'19 XSE CVT
32 Posts
I love the simple look of the RPF1s. I ran a set of 15s on my Supercharged 2003 Civic Si.

I prescribe to to church of "smallest wheel possible". Back in my autocross days, many would say you need less sidewall to prevent tire roll. I pushed my tires hard and never had a problem.

Smaller wheel:
  • Less rotating mass
  • Less un-sprung weight
  • More sidewall to absorb the dreaded freeway expansion joints
So, my question is: Has anybody fit a set of 16" RPF1s on the HB? I looked at a HB with the stock 16s and the clearance was tight.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,947 Posts
@invader might chime in here. I think he raised the ground clearance on his suspension. Not too sure though.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
670 Posts
I love the simple look of the RPF1s. I ran a set of 15s on my Supercharged 2003 Civic Si.

I prescribe to to church of "smallest wheel possible". Back in my autocross days, many would say you need less sidewall to prevent tire roll. I pushed my tires hard and never had a problem.

Smaller wheel:
  • Less rotating mass
  • Less un-sprung weight
  • More sidewall to absorb the dreaded freeway expansion joints
So, my question is: Has anybody fit a set of 16" RPF1s on the HB? I looked at a HB with the stock 16s and the clearance was tight.
16"s will fit fine. IDK about your tire selection though. I personally find the 17" the best of both worlds. Good size, with tons of tire options. I really can't wait for the weather to warm up to see what the grip and ride is on the beefy Falkens I put on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts