Toyota Nation Forum banner

What wheel size do you prefer?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Enthusiast
02 Tacoma
125 Posts
I say 16's or 17's..
I like a little more rubber on the road and not having to worry about cracking a wheel.

The price of the tire and performance ratings would be the desiding factor..

·
Cathode Protector
07 SE V6
496 Posts
I like the ride of the 17" wheels/tires. I think 18" wheels are nice but may be my limit for me as far as performance and ride comfort go. Anything over 18" I consider a performance loss, BUT some hammered stance guys like MOKY look SIIIIIICK on 19" wheels but that is for looks, and you pay a price for looks like that. I love to drool at his car but am glad I do not have to worry as much as I would if I had his setup.

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
For me, it depends on the car and the usage.

My Gen2 Camry right now runs on 15's due to my daily commute but I've once had 16's with 205/50*R16 tires. From an "all-season" perspective due to where I live (Northeast), my 16" setup is best for the spring/summer months.

Winter time, forget it.

I had one experience "slip-sliding away" on my 16" setup when the roads got icy one day to everyone's surprise. This prompted me to change between my 16" and 15" sets in the spring and fall.

I've considered 17" wheels with 215/45*R17 tires, in which my friend had on his Maxima. He told me that he was able to ride this through the winter with no problems. With the long commute I now have, I don't even know if it's worth it. :D

With my mini-truck (88 Toy P/U), I have 16" with 205/50*16 and it's good enough.

For my old school compacts (Toyota Corolla, Datsun 510, etc...), I prefer 15"
I have tires that are meaty enough around the rim, yet give me a good contact patch with a wide enough tread. Although I've seen nice TE72, AE86, and 510's with 16" wheels, I don't feel the need to go that big. If anything, I went wider (205/50*15) and that alone worked for me.

As far as my pickup (2001 Tundra), I follow the factory size.
My wife drives the truck for now so I keep it factory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hav u eva thought of gettin 17s and lowerin the car so u dont hav a gap
looks good nd performs gr8 nd if u get lowerin springs instead of coilovers the ride wont be so uncomfortable

·
Corona is gone.
86 Pickup
863 Posts
I have 15's on my Z, but I would consider 16's if I wanted to change. I wouldn't go any higher than that. After 16 I think it's just for looks on most cars.

·
Corona is gone.
86 Pickup
863 Posts
Muaz, you need to remove some of the sales links from your signature. Anyway, rim prices vary by vendor and wheel. You need to be more specific.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wheels Wheels Wheels

this a question that every car lover asks i'm a toyota tech.. i do alot of upgrades to different cars believe it or no you can fit 20inch rims on your car i personally don't like how it looks yes you will have a rough ride when you use less tire. i do alot of 07 camry's and my personal choice is 18 inch wheels on 215/45zr18 tires if you can affort use the toyo proxie tires they will give you a better quality ride about rough ride you can decrease it by using your new wheels at 32-35psi, a good balance on the assembly its self is always good trust me not everyone that claims to know how to balance tires can balance a low profile tire be sure that center rings are used during installation, and about the off set i don't worry much about the size i like to measure the wheel to the car you want to make sure it clears your brake calipper and that it wont rub on the strut tower when sitting on the ground tire rack can provide you with the right rim i use them alot.. well hope this can help and enjoy your camry i love those cars i have customize many and all customers that buy them have always been 100% happy with the result, the ride quality and the look.

one last thing if you lower the car with TRD lowering spring the ride quality will dimished but not to a extream level

·
Registered
112 Posts
17X8.5 ROTA's with 235 /45-17 BS RE050's

I got rid of my 18X8 OZ wheels and put on wider 17's.

18 tires are alot more expensive-800-900 as set, ugh.

I lost 4 lbs per wheel with the 17's

This car is a kind of a sled, can't give up horsepower like that for any reason, especially vanity.

Got a much better color, OK I was vain on this point.

Rotas were ~ $550

I did have to roll the rear fenders -$100.

I am a much happier camper.
:clap:

·
Registered
1989 ST162 Celica
27 Posts
I would get a set of 17's for my Celica with some nice grippy road biased tyres.
for my mum's (4th Gen?) '98 camry it'd be the same.

and probably 17's for my dad's 2000 100 Series.

my dream wouldbe to get a revised Gen IV Camry wagon in silver witha manual tranny and just throw money at it like there's no tomorrow

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
17's would be my choice... best of looks, still relatively lightweight if you don't have cash for forged wheels, and plus they'll still be relatively complient as far as ride goes.

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
I have 15's on my Z, but I would consider 16's if I wanted to change. I wouldn't go any higher than that. After 16 I think it's just for looks on most cars.
Current setups:
13" Libras on my 510
13" on my 2 Corollas
The max I would do on either of these would be 15"

16" on the minitruck.
16" on my Gen2 Camry only for the summer (winter gets OE 15" steelies.)
I considered 17" on the Camry, but haven't done it.

;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 camry and the only way it looks remotely decent to me is with 20's and a drop. The idea of getting smaller wheels for performance sake is ridiculous IMO. Its a camry and if I were to take it to a track I'd look like a damn fool. Who cares about a smoother ride, Im not a damn cab driver lol.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts