Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever drive on the highway and see tire threads strewn across the roads? One of the main reasons is probably because the tires are so old that they blow off. The video link below talks about aged tires and how to tell when it was manufactured. This is new to me, may be new to others and maybe some even knew about it but its still informative considering people out there are constantly talking about buying new tires for their shoes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

If you look at wall of tire, you have a bunch of numbers/codes. If you look on the line where it has DOT..if you follow it all the way to the end, there should be 3 or 4 numbers. 419, 3202, etc.

419 means 41st week of 1999
216 means 21st week of 1996
3202 means 32nd week of 2002

So how many of knew about this?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Aged Tired???????.............how about Old Tires????????

·
Joined the dark side. :D
X - Camry '07 SE
8,837 Posts
Aged meat is better. Aged tires are still too chewy. LOL j/k Aged and tired is even worse. (I have issue with wording things too.)

I did learn about this "old tires" issue about 2 months ago on a hot deal forum. (I learn all kind of junks everywhere.) LOL Anyway, I did check my tires and they are all good. :) Seriously those place selling them should be fine.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
yep, I remember seeing this online a few months ago, but good heads up for anyone who doesn't know. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
A buddy of mine who owns a tire store always recommends replacement due to age at a five year maximum or visible cracking of the outer wall, whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i had no problems.....had my car sitting idle for almost two years on brand new toyo T1-s....tracked the car once....put on over 50kms on them afterwards....and they are still on the car...

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Ever drive on the highway and see tire threads strewn across the roads? One of the main reasons is probably because the tires are so old that they blow off.

Those are probabley retreads or recaps you are seeing, probabley from an 18 wheeler......

·
X - Camry '07 SE
8,837 Posts
I've seen a car tire blew on a 65mph highway. It smoked and rubber were flying all over the place. The car were able to safely change lane to the left and onto the shoulder without any incident. The road at that section were 5 lanes so if anything happen, wow I can't imagine how many cars would have pill up in seconds.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I've seen a car tire blew on a 65mph highway. It smoked and rubber were flying all over the place. The car were able to safely change lane to the left and onto the shoulder without any incident. The road at that section were 5 lanes so if anything happen, wow I can't imagine how many cars would have pill up in seconds.
Must not be California. When people get flats here, they just stop in the middle of the road.

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
Biggest reason for tires blowing on the highway is running them underinflated. They flex too much and build up too much heat.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Biggest reason for tires blowing on the highway is running them underinflated. They flex too much and build up too much heat.
Very true too. I have another friend who owns a towing service that operates on the 15 between Barstow and Vegas, and the most common roadside assists and/or accidents they handle are SUVs driving too fast on underinflated tires and they blow out. I see it all the time on that stretch.

·
X - Camry '07 SE
8,837 Posts
Very true too. I have another friend who owns a towing service that operates on the 15 between Barstow and Vegas, and the most common roadside assists and/or accidents they handle are SUVs driving too fast on underinflated tires and they blow out. I see it all the time on that stretch.
This is why now is mandatory to have TPMS.

Better use Nitrogen gas instead of regular air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts