Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Corolla GT-S Coupe, 4A-GE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 gts (bigport) and I had just noticed that two hoses were plugged off. These hoses connect to the air auxiliary valve/ idle air control valve. The picture shows the two rubber hoses with the metal hose clamps below the plastic air intake hose connected to the throttle body. Does anyone know where they’re supposed to be connected to? I’ve tried to search it up but couldn’t find anything. Thank you!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,148 Posts
On the 4A-FE there is a coolant pipe running under the intake. The 2 AAV hoses connect to that and there is a third hose closer to the water pump side that connects near the water pump. I'm not sure if the 4A-GE is the same.

Reactions: Corrolla clone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah you’re right and those are also on my 4A-GE but the ones I mentioned I have no idea about. I saw a diagram on google where they are labeled “P/S idle up connections.” I have yet to find anything though.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,148 Posts
japan-parts.eu

Look at Engine > Radiator Water Outlet

It should show all the pipes and hoses for your engine. Sometimes the diagrams don't match exactly, but it should list all the parts. When I say they don't match I mean the shape of the pipe in a diagram might not be exactly how the actual part is, but should be close enough to understand all the parts involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just found it. Apparently they connect to the power steering air control valve. I will try and see what would happen if I connect those hoses back to the power steering control valve and see if anything changes. I’ll update the discussion once I route them back. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,148 Posts
I see. On the 4A-FE that I'm familiar with the PS idle-up vacuum hoses are on the other side of the intake not near the AAV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t think it’s the same for the 4A-GE because I could not find it at all. I also checked the power steering pump but I didn’t see anything either. I’ll have to keep looking.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a 1988 gts (bigport) and I had just noticed that two hoses were plugged off. These hoses connect to the air auxiliary valve/ idle air control valve. The picture shows the two rubber hoses with the metal hose clamps below the plastic air intake hose connected to the throttle body. Does anyone know where they’re supposed to be connected to? I’ve tried to search it up but couldn’t find anything. Thank you! View attachment 332592
if u don't mind taking some more pictures zooming out so i know where to look, i can use those to try finding out wat they are going into and take pictures to post up. i have a 90 gts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if u don't mind taking some more pictures zooming out so i know where to look, i can use those to try finding out wat they are going into and take pictures to post up. i have a 90 gts.
Here are some. Thank you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i will post pictures in the morning for u, it's dark outside and i just got home from work. it seems like those 2 hose in my car, going down and plug right into something a little to the right.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i think those hose go to the coolant pipe right underneat the intake manifold and to the left . there are 2 spot u can plug them into i couldn't take a pictures cause i couldn't get my phone in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think those hose go to the coolant pipe right underneat the intake manifold and to the left . there are 2 spot u can plug them into i couldn't take a pictures cause i couldn't get my phone in there.
Someone mentioned that before but there already is two hoses connected to the coolant pipe. The ones I’m talking about connect to the power steering air valve but I have no idea where it is located. I checked the power steering pump but couldn’t find anything. Apparently a vehicle runs fine without it because it only really uses this air valve to idle up the car when steering at a stop to take stress off the pump but I’d rather just have it connected. If I can’t find anything then it’ll be fine. I appreciate all of the help

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,148 Posts
It sounds like the rubber hoses may connect to a metal air pipe running under the intake that leads to the power steering pump idle-up valve, but I can't explain why you don't have that. Did someone replace the pump and not install the idle-up valve from the old pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the oem diagram it shows those hoses directly connected to the idle up valve and the only thing ever repaired related to steering was the rack and pinion so I doubt that. I saw a comparison of the power steering pump on the ae86 and ae92 and the ae86 had it directly on the pump but it wasn’t on the ae92’s, so it must be located somewhere else.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,148 Posts
Look on japan-parts.eu under Engine > Vacuum piping on pages 2 and 3 and the bottom of the diagram it lists 17630 - Valve Assembly, Air Control, and for that it lists 2 part numbers. One is for "steering gear side". On the GTS models this idle-up valve is located on the power steering rack. (Edit: I see you posted a picture of this diagram in an earlier post.)

My factory repair manual doesn't show where it is installed exactly on the rack. It just shows the air control valve in a box labeled "4A-GE Engine" in the corner of the larger parts diagram for the "Toyota type" of power steering rack. It doesn't show it for the KOYO type of power steering rack.

17630-16040

Do you still have the vacuum diagram sticker on the underside of the hood?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t have it but I do have a screenshot of someone else’s diagram with the same 88 gts and it doesn’t show anything about the power steering.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don’t have it but I do have a screenshot of someone else’s diagram with the same 88 gts and it doesn’t show anything about the power steering. View attachment 333026
sorry for the confusion, i was looking at the wrong tubes, now that i know u were talking about the 2 first tubes on the left connecting to intake manifold. i will trace them down and find down where they go to when i get home tonight from work.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I actually just found it. Apparently they connect to the power steering air control valve. I will try and see what would happen if I connect those hoses back to the power steering control valve and see if anything changes. I’ll update the discussion once I route them back. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!
View attachment 332626
on this diagram of your 4age, the first 2 rubber hose will connected to the pipe rack (25706) from there u can trace the the pipe to (disregard part 17630 valve) 25860 ( some kinda egr sensor with electronic connector.)the firt pipe will then connect to a tube going to the smaller diaphram first pipe hose ( top left side).the second pipe will connect to 25860 second port( the one the left side, the first one go to the diaphram 2nd pipe( bottom left). hope that would help. it would be easier if i figure out how to highlight the area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am so confused. Why would we disregard valve 17630 if that’s the valve I am trying to locate?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts