Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I put a proper radiator in my 97 camry 2.2. A denso. I suspected the water pump wasnt working. So...i put a clear hose from engine to top of radiator. Filled it up and let it run. It ran forever before thermostat opened, and i let it run for about 15 more minutes. All seems well, it maintains temperature with mostly water in it, fans cycle on once in a while. But i keep seeing bubbles, lots of bubbles. I cant figure out how to post video, it says file too large

·
Registered
372 Posts
Could be a lot of air in the system due to the radiator change. Some techniques I have used are: 1 A quick drive which heats it up and forces some air out. Usually the temp starts to rise. Then park it, wait till it cools then add fluid as needed. Usually it take a few iterations to push all the air out. 2. Put car on ramps and remove the upper hose at the radiator hose. Fill the hose till it overflows then attach and fill radiator. This places the hose and the radiator cap as high points and usually allows most of the air to be replaced by fluid. After it cools you may need to add some fluid but it is a quicker process.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Two things, 1) go and check out a cooling system pressure tester from your local auto parts store and confirm no leakage. And 2) if no leakage is detected a device like an Airlift will evacuate nearly all the air from your cooling system and replace it with coolant. In all actuality the Airlift device can also be used as a leak tester by using vacuum rather than compressed air.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
x2 pressure test. It is quick and easy to do (with the borrowed tool from auto parts store), and can reveal any number of things not easily found by other means.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok all is well, the bubbling stopped. It runs good and then i saw a drip, hoses are rotted junk so i am headed to get new ones. Do both fans cycle when temp reaches 199? Cause mine do-and i have only seen one speed, and both fans work together. Turn on ac....both fans come on, if there are two speeds then i assume they are on high, pretty loud....so my question is one speed or two,one fan for ac and one for engine or both for both?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both hoses on so far so good, no drips. Still need to know if engine calls for both fans or one and are there two speeds?
When i had the clear hose on, i noticed that the upper radiator hose was hose bringing water to radiator, lower hose was taking water to thermostat housing. With my laser thermometer it is 199 going to thermostat housing and coming out of engine at engine temp switch it is 157???? Wouldn't it be the opposite? The coolant would gain heat thru engine? And cool off in radiator? Can the water pump run backwards??? Is that possible?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hot as heck here, about 90 today. Temp gauge sits just below half way mark. I checked relays today, they seem fine to me. New everything on cooling system,temp switch on radiator, temp switch on engine,thermostat,radiator,hoses,rad cap. Just dont understand why some people are saying it is hi/low, one fan two fan, and no one can explain the purpose of the relays?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was investigating why no 1 fan 2 fan operation or no hi/low because i dont want it to overheat and crack radiator, or blow engine 97 camry le 262,000 miles. Some people say it does that some say it doesn't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And another crazy bizarre thing, the water going from radiator to thermostat is in the 190's and the water coming out by temp switch heading towards radiator is 147-157. The water coming out of engine is cooler than water going in???? I know water travels in that direction because i had a clear rad hose on it and i watched it? Why or how is that? That seems backwards to me.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Temp gauge sits just below half way mark.
That is the correct reading for engine temp. A/C button pushed "on" fan on battery side runs. Engine warmed up sitting still after a time the other fan comes on. I run my A/C when it's warm out so yes both fans are running when sitting in traffic. The cooling fan will cycle on and off because the coolant temp drops below the set point to activate the fan.
Why do you think you have a fan problem? Are you overheating, it doesn't appear so by your gauge. It appears to me that you are over thinking this fan thing.
W95c

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine does not do that. Ac on-both fans run. Car warms up both fans kick on at same time-go off at same time. I never see one fan run- unless i jumper the big green bosch relay-then and only then will one fan run. I think people here are telling me hi/low fan running is 1/2 fans running, so im trying to find out what is supposed to happen. This vehicle is new to me, i put a lot of time and money into the cooling system and i dont want to damage anything, like the plastic radiator, 262,000 mile engine etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts