Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I have a 1997 Toyota Camry. Just yesterday my air conditioner light started to flash. And the air comes out warm. Also battery light is on. Turned air conditioner off. Battery light still on. Turned off car for 20 min. Turned car back on. Battery light still on. Air conditioner still doing the same. Haven't tried today yet. Can someone please help. Will this be expensive to fix?

·
Super Moderator
13,296 Posts
The battery light could be a loose serpentine belt, a bad battery, or a bad alternator. Most auto parts store have a tester they can use to narrow it down for you. Call around and take it to them for testing. If it's the alternator, a rebuilt Denso is ~$100 + shipping on Rockauto.

The AC light flashing could be just a loose belt, or it could be the compressor clutch failing.

I'd check the belt tension first and go from there.

·
Registered
1994 Camry V6 XLE-J
5,746 Posts
don't know about your car but if the same belt drives both the a/c and the alternator, then if it's broken, or loose like bmr sez, that'd do it.
tony

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,827 Posts
Blinking light for AC indicates speed miss match between the compressor and engine IIRC...or something like that. Since you are also getting a battery light, it could be an issue with the accessory belt.

If the belt checks ok, check the car battery voltage. I've driven cars with a bad alternator. Most times the AC will still kick on fine but may start cutting in and out due to the battery being nearly discharged.

First thing first
-Check AC/ACcessory belt tension/condition
-Check battery/alternator

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another thought... if your car is overheating then the ac usually does not work. If you are working on that part of the engine, it would be worth it to take a peek behind the timing cover to make sure your water pump is ok- touch the pulley to make sure it doesn?t feel loose. You also might just let the engine run while you stand in front of the car with the hood open- see if anything sounds out of place. To me, it sounds like you have a problem with either the ac compressor which is slowing the belt so the alternator does not charge properly, or vice versa. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts