Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 4 Door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Having all sorts of issues with the air conditioning on my 1987 Camry (owned since new). Does anyone know the P/N for the A/C Mag relay and a replacement for the 056700-6210? Also, is the drivers side fan for the A/C? It runs when I hot wire it, but am having a problem with it and also my compressor turning on (although they intermittently do). Anyway thought I would start with the relays. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
820 Posts
I’d think you should check and make sure the pressures are correct first since you said it works intermittently.

·
Registered
1987 4 Door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, already charged it to the correct pressure and it seems to be holding. I may have a short somewhere, but will know if I blow the new relays I suppose.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,622 Posts
Both fans should run together in all modes. When the AC compressor is on, the two fans will run in series (low speed). When the coolant is hot or AC pressures are high (but not too high) both fans run in parallel (high speed).

Step 1: Unplug the coolant temperature switch for the radiator fans (located on the engine inlet neck under the alternator). Make sure both fans run when the key is in the ON position.
Step 2: Make sure both fans run 'slow' when the AC compressor is engaged.

Are either / both of those things happening?

-Charlie

·
Registered
1987 4 Door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the help. Disconnected the temperature switch and only the passenger side fan would turn on with the A/C off. With AC on same thing, (only passenger side fan on) but now I get the dreaded blinking AC light and the compressor is not engaged.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,622 Posts
Even though they always operate together, Toyota calls the driver's side fan the Radiator Fan and the passenger side the AC Condenser Fan.

A flashing AC light means the AC amplifier senses a problem with the AC system - low pressure, high pressure, incorrect compressor speed, low engine RPM, etc. It sounds like there may be two issues going on here.

Is the system R134 converted? What pressures did you charge to? Do you have the lever style or push-button style AC controls? Is there a condition where the AC system seems to work correctly and or stop working reliably?

The AC dual pressure switch allows the magnet clutch relay to operate with system pressures between 30psi and 384psi (I'm assuming that high side). The AC high pressure switch should turn the radiator fans on high above 256psi and back to low at 199psi (high side again).

Check fuses: 30A RDI FAN, 30A CDS FAN, 7.5A IGN (inside)

I'm having trouble figuring out a way your fans could be acting the way they are unless both the #1 and #3 fan relays are bad...

-Charlie

·
Registered
1987 4 Door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuses noted are all good. I have not converted to R134, but used the stuff that is considered "R12 compatible". Had good air for a day or two, but noticed that my temp gauge was going higher than normal going up a grade. That never happened before. That's when I checked the fans and the second one was not running. My AC on-off button is a push button and the temp is a lever.
Thanks Charlie,
Lewis

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,622 Posts
Try a new OEM thermostat for the overheating issue... At highway speeds, you shouldn't even need the radiator fans even uphill (unless you were drafting behind another vehicle or something).

The "lever type" controls (base and DX trim) have a direct mechanical cable from the controls to the Fresh/Recirc and heater valve. The "button type" (LE trim) has buttons for all functions except temp, that has an 'electric' feeling slider (no mechanical feel to it). They have different electrical controls / diagrams which is why I asked.

I think the next test is each of the three fan relays in the engine bay fuse box...

-Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts