Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently the proud owner of a '88 Nova/Corolla. My question to the viewing public is this: why would my A/C clutch not be engaging when I hit the A/C control. I looked at the wiring diagram, and it looks as though the clutch is in a circuit along with the A/C fan motor. Neither is coming on. I did however see somthing about a high pressure switch in the circuit for the fan, perhaps meaning that the A/C must be operating for the fan to engage? Just a thought as to why the fan might not be coming on like i expected. Can i just jump a 12v wire to my compressor clutch and see if that starts it rolling, or will I kill somthing.
Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm trying to figure out just the same issue w/my Corolla, you can jump the clutch, but until you figure out what the real problem is, it won't do you much good with out the rest of the system(additional fan, idle-up,relay).
I think my problem is still low freon pressure, but am going to get a guage to attach to my re-charge kit so I can figure that out without over charging the system.
If I could find the dual-pressure switch, I could check and see if it's kicked on or not.
Good luck, I'll post if I get anywhere today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm kind of a luddite at these things, but if my compressor wasn't coming on at all, would that just be the clutch, the wiring, or that little a/c amplifier doodad, or would that be a one of the whole host of other things as well. What I'm thinking is that if I can jump my compressor on, I know it's not the clutch that is bad, so I then have to investigate the associated wiring. Just a thought.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If no or low freon is present in the A/C system then the clutch will not engage to prevent damage to the compressor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts