Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm... Where do I start..

I'm a rookie car fixing guy... A.k.a. not a mechanic...

Topped my ac ... Put too much in...
Got some professionally devacc'd..

Now this sound won't go away since the past 2 days...

Cooked ac clutch?

Any thoughts...?

·
イリジウム
13,702 Posts
I'm not sure what the rumbling and then a sort of squeak at the engine shut off is. That's even with the AC (and fan) turned off before shutdown?

Was it a true full-evacuation and then recharge with the proper amount? It'd be nice for the shop to provide low and high side working pressures. I'd say let a shop look at it. That doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya... Umm.. I had a friend with a set of guages and an evac can take some back to relieve some pressure..

... Not a full devac...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what the rumbling and then a sort of squeak at the engine shut off is. That's even with the AC (and fan) turned off before shutdown?

Was it a true full-evacuation and then recharge with the proper amount? It'd be nice for the shop to provide low and high side working pressures. I'd say let a shop look at it. That doesn't sound good.
... Tow it to a shop...and not drive it to a shop... ?

·
イリジウム
13,702 Posts
So the noise happened AFTER your friend touched it? ;)

At least in the US, that generation of Corolla should have a compressor clutch, which means the compressor won't be turning with the AC off. Not sure about the Canadian market.

If there's a clutch and it isn't engaged, then you can drive it as the compressor won't be turning anyway (at least not supposed to). It may be the clutch or something else making the noise and likely not the compressor itself, which means it's an easier problem with the belt drive system.

Maybe have your friend help look at it again, see if there's anything abnormal in the belt drive system, like a rag or something caught in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after a rookie mistake, some YouTube provisioning, my (very legit) mechanic advised me that I do indeed still have a leak in the area I previously thought ... And also that my ac compressor bearings were shot.

Drove it home. Advised options, and no matter how I skin this cat, it's above the number I was told...

To purchase my own parts, and then labor and an extra charge for freon replacement.

Just going to go through him, (the very legit mechanic)

Thank you Toyotanation.com community!

I'll keep ya'll updated

·
イリジウム
13,702 Posts
If the clutch bearing is the result of road salt, then maybe ask him about whether or not to change out the condenser as well. Denso would be OEM stuff, but I don't see a Denso compressor on rockauto. They have kits w/ or w/o condenser, the heart symbol for popular item are the UAC kits.

Not sure what exact year you have, so I randomly picked one:

Here's a recent discussion on noisy clutch and/or compressor, and discussion about various parts to replace. There are two threads on parts replacement with pictures for Camrys but generally applicable to 'rollas too.

And use the rockauto 5% off code if you buy from there, scroll to the newest post:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts