Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had a vehicle that had a gap on the filter box like this.
Forgot to post any info! Ha
I mean it is like the filter “peaks” out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have multiple times and with the limited space I have yet to get it to cover that area. Hoping someone can confirm that theirs look like this or what might be going on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Correct air filter is installed, and sitting correctly in the bottom housing?
The upper housing placed correctly on top of the air filter and all clips correctly latched?
If so, the perceived gap is fine.

If you examine the air filter, there is a rubber gasket that goes around the perimeter of the air filter. This rubber gasket makes an air tight seal so NO un-metered air or water enters. This rubber gasket is sandwiched between the upper and lower air filter housing. The clips are apply pressure onto the rubber gasket, to ensure an airtight seal. NO UN-METERED air passes through this perceived gap.

The mold used to make the upper air box lid, for whatever reason was NOT designed to have the edge go around and make the perceived "gap" disappear. Yes, from an aesthetic point, Toyota should have just made the upper lip come around so there is no "gap." But, there is no problem with the design: the lid holds the air filter in place, and the clips apply the necessary pressure against the rubber gasket for an AIR TIGHT SEAL.

If this was a true gap, there would have been TSBs, possibly recall, lawsuit, and numerous postings about this perceived gap. Also, the CEL would remain on.

Breathe. All is well.

·
Registered
2011 Avalon Limited
100 Posts
Is it a Toyota Filter? Post your part number when you get a chance. I had a Toyota filter that was too thick and filter would not close properly. They later corrected part number.

Reactions: ff347

·
Registered
2011 Avalon Limited
80 Posts
There is no rubber gasket on the filter, it is all paper. Make sure your tabs on the back of the top half on either side of the intake tube are all the way into the corresponding hooks on the bottom half.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is the same way. I know because I noticed the same thing when I replaced my filter the first time and thought it looked wrong too lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is the same way. I know because I noticed the same thing when I replaced my filter the first time and thought it looked wrong too lol.
It looks ridiculous to me that it has a lip almost all the way around and then it just “stops”?

·
Registered
536 Posts
OEM 17801-37021 seems to be $16 range online from Toyota dealers that sell online at a discount vs retail over the counter.

Aftermarket air filters quality/filtration will be all over the place.

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
673 Posts
I'm a Fram flter guy. not the low end and buy in advance on sale.

OIL Fram Ultra
Air Fram Extra Guard
Cabin Fram Fresh Breeze

1 - 18 of 18 Posts