Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking at purchasing an AFR for my 98 Avalon. After searching all day, trying to pinpoint part #, it appears a Denso # 234-9009 crosses to my cars 89467-41011 but also 89466-48011.
So therefore I should be able to use any of these part #'s, correct? More chance of finding a better price when searching online.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,417 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
For a 1998 Avalon, only the California emmissions version uses A/F sensosrs. A California Avalon V6 uses two A/F ratio sensors for the upstream (left and right). Here they are:

If your Avalon is NOT a California emmissions version, here is the upstream O2 sensor (you need two of the same sensor here below):

Here is the downstream O2 sensor if you need it:

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
It is CA emmissions. I pulled codes which led me to bank 2 sensor 1.
Bank 2 is the bank of cylinders closest to the radiator (that should be considered the "left" bank). You'll see sensor 1 right there. Just because you have a code that points to the A/F sensor, that doesn't necessarily mean you should replace the sensor. There are tests you can do to determine if the sensor is faulty before spending the money to replace it.

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
I found the large intake hose was alittle loose, tightened it but code came back. Will check connection to sensor next.
What exact code is it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one that showed twice was P1153. There were 2 others but I will have to check again, but I read that they were probably caused buy the sensor. I will pull them again tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
P1153 is often the sensor itself, but first you will want to make sure that the connector looks good and is completely connected and that its wires are not compromised (loose, rubbing against another wire or grounded object, melted, etc.). Let us know what the other codes are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only other code at the moment is P0125. There was another a few days ago but I forgot to write it down but when I looked it up said it was the same sensor. I visually inspected the connector, looks fine. I will drive and check codes again in a day or 2. It is running fine, no different than always.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts