Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure at least one of you out there can help with this one.

I just got a universal cone filter. I tried installing it but I find that there is no place to put my air temp sensor, also, its sucking in real hot air. Anyone know how to make a heat shield for my 94 corolla?

Thanks

·
Grenaded piston
6,614 Posts
You'll need to drill a hole in the piping for the sensor. You can even reuse the grommet on the stock airbox.

As for the heatshield, you'll have to get creative.

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
Not like you'd likely want to do this since you already have a cone filter, but you can find them with heatshields. I know Ractive makes them.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
You could go back to the stock intake, and regain that low-end torque you lost:D

Or get a hood scoop.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Heat shield... hmmm... I know someone on here used a street sign:D I think someone on the boro crew.

Heat shields don't seem like they would do a lot. I mean, hot air is still going to be floating around under the hood.

Just find some thin metal and bend it.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
You can buy a heat shield for a short ram intake on ebay, search for "Heat Shield Corolla"... It's not going to help that much. You could make your own or you could make a custom CAI.... Hehe, try using a pipe from a dryer, as in a washer and dryer. Form a box of some type of metal around the filter and run the pipe from the box to somewhere that it will take in colder air than the engine. It's ghetto, but it works if you do it right. :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
hmm... you have a pic of the engine bay?.... i'm not positive on what that year looks like. maybe there would be a way to direct colder air to it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to direct cold air in... but engine space is so tight... if I can move my battery, i would have lots of room

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Heat shield won't do anything. The hot air will move around the shield. Use K&N filter with stock airbox or go CAI.
BTW, stock airbox IS a CAI ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
lowes sells a/c ducts. you can cut a hole through your hood and stick the ducts out through the hood. it will look like a snorkle....... It would be different

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
And ricey!!!!!!!

Somthing I think would be cool is get Z3 vents in the front 1/4 panels, and then hook your air box directly to that wall. It would work well to take in cold air, and it would still be a shorter passage then the full intake. So it would also give you that deeper sound. And the vent on the other side woulde help to cool the engine bay.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nono... why do i just take off the hood. take out my filter, and then all cold air will be going into my engine...

haha... just kidding

Thanks for all you guy's help.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Take a look at my Corolla at Yahoo Photos for more idea.
You'll see what I did to the filter.
Link is below.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
^
And ricey!!!!!!!

Somthing I think would be cool is get Z3 vents in the front 1/4 panels, and then hook your air box directly to that wall. It would work well to take in cold air, and it would still be a shorter passage then the full intake. So it would also give you that deeper sound. And the vent on the other side woulde help to cool the engine bay.
That's hillarious that you called a snorkle ricey and suggested Z3 fenders in the same breath.:lol:

Z3 fenders = played out generic rice

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
A lot of ricers have done Z3 vents, but it doesn't mean that they can't look nice on the right car. I don't think they are too over played. At least not in quality built cars :)

A snorkle, well that is just crazy. Unless you are building your car to go off road.:lol:

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Hahahaha, Did you see that episode of "Trucks" too?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts