Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure at least one of you out there can help with this one.

I just got a universal cone filter. I tried installing it but I find that there is no place to put my air temp sensor, also, its sucking in real hot air. Anyone know how to make a heat shield for my 94 corolla?

Thanks

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
I dunno about your sensor placement but sheet metal should make a decent shield and it's pretty easy to cut and bend.
Also Injen sells a heat shield for their short ram intake that you might be able to modify for your needs.

·
Rotary Engine Enthusiast
93 Camry Wagon
96 Posts
Depends on your driving habits

If you are in a lot of stop and go, try to make one out of fiberglass, to help prevent heat soak.

Otherwise welded metals are just fine. No matter what it is better then just sucking in your radiators backwash. (unless it has no access at all to outside 'cold' air)

Bonus points if you make it out of cardboard, duct tape, and tin foil. (works fine, just wont impress your friends as much :p)

Where to put your temp sensor? Drill a hole :D If you REALLY dont care about how accurate it is, just put the unit inside whatever box you end up fabricating.

·
Rotary Engine Enthusiast
93 Camry Wagon
96 Posts
PS: Watch out for those 'universal cone filters' if you got it on ebay. I've worked on quite a few RX-7s that drove up with them, and in only a matter of months they started falling apart and getting sucked into the engine. Not as bad as HKS (foam) filters, but still, not pretty. If thats the case, I'd reccomend looking for an Apex'i filter. The reason I would reccomend that over the K&N is because the Apex'i doesnt get oil on your MAF wire. (I noticed you have a '94 'rolla)

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
I've used the filters from Ebay for close to 2 years now. Haven't had problems with them yet. Basically, I always go to the same 2 Ebay vendors and order them straight from either of them. I got 2 guys who provide good filters. Both vendors sell ASpec filters.

When dirty, I've washed them, let them dry overnight, and put them back on. They've worked out well for me.:thumbup:

Regarding the comparison between the Apex'i filter vs. K&N, I personally prefer Apex'i. I have one in my Camry V6. ;)

A heat shield in my opinion absolutely serves no purpose whatsoever. You have to keep in mind that even with a heat shield on the filter, your filter still sits in the engine bay; which means that the heat inside the engine bay is all over the engine bay, including around the filter. When you accelerate, you're still sucking up the same warm air as if you do not have the heat shield.

You're best bet to remedy this is to either get yourself a cold air intake or to make a CAI yourself. Only then will your engine benefit from a cone type of filter.

Good luck,

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toyrolla:

Which seller do you get this filter from?

I just spend 3 hrs making a heat shield out of sheet metal...defentely helps to rev it up faster... I think I need to add an extra tube at the bottom of my car to scope up cold air...

Also, I think the Denso Iridium spark plug helps too...

Anyone tried to use sparko spark plug wire?

·
Rotary Engine Enthusiast
93 Camry Wagon
96 Posts
The heatsheild is only useless if there is almost no path to cold air.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
PS: Watch out for those 'universal cone filters' if you got it on ebay. I've worked on quite a few RX-7s that drove up with them, and in only a matter of months they started falling apart and getting sucked into the engine.
Usually the user is to blame, often times they've dried it with compressed air or washed it with pressure. that kills the cotton fabric, which then pretty much gets sucked into the engine.

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
Tofuball said:
The heatsheild is only useless if there is almost no path to cold air.
My point exactly....

sonyminidiscman said:
Toyrolla:

Which seller do you get this filter from?
I know that I stated 2 on my last post, but it turns out that there are 3 Ebay Sellers that I deal with:

Toys Auto
F1Sports
Proexhaust

All 3 offer the same in my opinion. If anything, I would go with Proexhaust first because I noticed that the other 2 recently raised their shipping charges.

It's always good to save yourself a couple of bucks. ;)

Please understand that the point to using a cone filter is to allow the car to breathe better, thus eliminating the "restrictive" factory airbox.

At the same time, you also have to understand why the airbox is designed the way it is in the first place; to keep the incoming air cooler than the air that sits in the engine bay.

This is why you have to pay equal attention to both areas of concern when upgrading your intake filter; the filtering, but also the air temperature being received by the engine.

You could try a short or ram intake, but that only provides cooler air when the car is in motion, not when sitting still.

This is why your best option is to go with a cold air intake.

Whether you find one on the net or build one yourself, your car will thank-you later. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks...

Yeah, i notice I am losing start up power... I need to get another tube to ram the air up from the bottom of my car... directly to my filter... but gonna take some work again...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I need to get another tube to ram the air up from the bottom of my car
Ram air wont work on a family sedan, the speeds are just too low. Plus the pressure in the bumper isnt actually that great. Its right infront of the bumper, or right infront of the windshield where the pressure is the most. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts