Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better?Replace factory filter with better performing drop in filter and retain factory air box or remove factory airbox and install cone syle filter with adapter?

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
general consensus in the mr2 world is that the apex-i intake seems to be the best.....i use an HKS p-flow on my car....have always used them on every car i've owned w/o any problems...

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
A cone filter will always perform better than a drop-in replacement.
A cone filter will be louder though.

As per testing, the APEXI showed the best HP gains with K&N right behind.
I use K&N, but I have a much larger K&N filter than what comes with K&N's "MR2 FIPK".

MRQturbo, the HKS filters with green foam are probably the worst to have in there. The foam is none to break apart and get sucked into the engine ... not to mention you can not reuse/reoil the foam.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
J&H......i change the HKS element every yr.....i've always used their intakes on every car i've owned w/o any problems...but i will be switching to a custom KN cone filter setup when my motor gets built over the winter time......

·
Registered
270 Posts
does anyone have or heard of anything about the HP increase of a weapon R dragon intake with ram air?? I've read that this intake system has put out some good numbers for cars such as the 350zx and such, but i haven't heard of anything about an MKII.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there any reason to wait to do the intake before I do the exhaust? I was planning on doing the exhaust next year but figured I could do the intake now. I know the power response won't be as great until I do both, but is there any harm in putting it on now? I know it's not usually a problem with most cars, but seeing as how the turbo seems to throw a new element into it all I thought I'd ask...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts