Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago, I got the dreaded airbag light on my dash. It flickered at first, then remained on regardless of trying to clear the code (code 31 BTW). The local dealer wanted almost $500 for a new airbag computer, but it dawned on me that the airbags fire using built in batteries (in this case - electrolytic capacitors) to isolate from the truck battery.
Figuring I had nothing to loose, I yanked the computer and disassembled it. Viola - four large capacitors, each faithfully in service since 5/95, and each leaked out onto the PCB. So, about $10 and an hour of my time later, the airbag computer has been fixed and is once again back in service.
In my haste, I forgot to take pictures of the procedure - however, working on your airbag computer isn't for the novice. If you have the ability to work on PCBs, you will need a T40 Torx screwdriver and a Phillips screwdriver to remove the computer from the floorboard. From there, 4 screws hold the computer shell together, and another 6 screws hold the PCB down. Remove the PCB, and the four large capacitors (3900uf 16v) will be staring at you. While I was in there, I replaced a small capacitor that was beginning to leak (470uf 25v).

·
T100 for life
'96 4x4 T100 Xtracab
22 Posts
i have that light on too, but i figure i love my T so much that if i need an airbag my T is in probley in such shape that i dont want one

·
Registered
1996 t100 x-cab
153 Posts
I took the light out of the dash :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am still trying to sort out my airbag light on. I jumped the E1 and Tc diagnosis terminals and still got no code on the dash. I could probably find a friend who knows more about computers than me to check the capacitors. Is the airbag computer located just below the radio/ash tray assembly? Did you remove the negative battery terminal first?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
I am still trying to sort out my airbag light on. I jumped the E1 and Tc diagnosis terminals and still got no code on the dash. I could probably find a friend who knows more about computers than me to check the capacitors. Is the airbag computer located just below the radio/ash tray assembly? Did you remove the negative battery terminal first?
Yes...you need to remove power to the SRS ECU fer at least 2 minutes.
Yes...it's located behind the cover under the radio. It will have yellow connectors on the ECU.

Are you sure you got the terminals hooked up correctly and you did the procedure correctly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks.
All I can say is I inserted the bare wire to the two recepticals and tried to make sure I had connection. I tried it both before the key was turned on and 20 seconds after. No code displayed on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts