Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 t100
2.7 4cyl 5sp

My truck has the airbag light always on, I checked the code and it is 31 - Center Air Bag Sensor Assembly Malfunction.

I little research suggests that replacing the airbag ECU (Control Module). Has anyone had this issue and fixed it without replacing the control module?

Where is the Control Module located on the 96 T100?

I've found several used ones online (junkyards), but want to make sure I get the right one. Does it matter if the unit is coming from a truck that has a different engine or other variables like auto vs manual etc.?

Is this a pretty easy (plug and play) replacement?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
1996 t100
2.7 4cyl 5sp

My truck has the airbag light always on, I checked the code and it is 31 - Center Air Bag Sensor Assembly Malfunction.

I little research suggests that replacing the airbag ECU (Control Module). Has anyone had this issue and fixed it without replacing the control module?

Where is the Control Module located on the 96 T100?

I've found several used ones online (junkyards), but want to make sure I get the right one. Does it matter if the unit is coming from a truck that has a different engine or other variables like auto vs manual etc.?

Is this a pretty easy (plug and play) replacement?
Your the 1st I've seen mention this unit so I can't help ya with the location or job, but this is the unit I found for your truck with the info you mentioned.
They appear to be vehicle specific. You can put you VIN in this website and serch airbag and the sensor will come up.

·
13,510 Posts
The control module is located under the middle cover under the dash. Push the 2 pins in and you'll be able to pull the fasteners out. The cover will pull right off. Any SRS component will have yellow connectors/sockets/wiring covers so you can't mistake it fer anything else. You should be able to see the control module slightly off to the right of the opening. I think 2 or 4 screws hold it in place. Make sure you disconnect the battery negative connection before attempting disconnecting the module. You don't want to set the airbag off. ;)

You should be able to retrieve the part number off of the control module. Looks like www.car-part.com has a lot of control modules fer less than $100. You'll need to confirm the part number with the parts yard selling the control module. You'll need to also confirm that the module hasn't been in a flood nor has it been in a collision. If they can guarantee that, you should be good to go.

As old as these vehicles are, I'm not sure how well the components will hold up over time. This company will reset yer control module fer about $50. You might want to call them so you can find out exactly what they will do fer yer control module. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts