Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys my names nathan
Im from Australia and i own a 94 camry four cyl
im thinking of doing some of the mods that one of the guys was talking about b4 with cutting a hole into the airbox to add performance ( little if any i know ) but mostly just for the sound enhancement ( apparently it will sound much better ) :p .
whats the oppinion of this mod to anyone else here. because one of my friends is convinced it will root my engine. i assume the ecu will ajust the air fuel mix accordingly but he doesnt seem to think so
thanks guys :D

·
sleeeeper
'96 Toyota Vienta
7 Posts
hey, nice to see someone from the sunburn country!

I own a V6 Vienta and i just installed a pod filter on the end of the airflow meter. I just took of the stock airbox. Ive been using for over a year, and everything is fine. Cutting a hole looks dodge, better of with pod filter...

Pros: sounds way better, pulls harder above 4500rpm, supposably more fuel efficient...

Cons: cus it sounds good you tend accel more and use more fuel.

hope this helped..

heres a vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJJR-Yrs3ak - inside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BlQayLhmEU - outside

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,739 Posts
i4: anythig you do wont do squat. just get a new (and therefore, clean) filter.

i4/v6 but only us v6 ppl tend to do it for some reason, relocate the AFM as close to the TB as possible.. cut down the intake tube, make a new one, anything. the closer it is to the engine the more accurate the ECU output is, this is the only free intake mod which really does anything worth mentioning :)

if you want cold air intake, remove the stock snorkel and resonator and replace it with some flexible 3" tubing. this is what ive done...only because after my short ram and then cold air intake i throw the originals away.

Nitrous is the first 'intake mod' thats going to add any real performance. $750 for a wet kit on ebvay, + installation. refills form ya local BOC/Bosch shop.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
i got a 94 2.2 as well...i cut a hole in the box, and removed the resonator...i think it sounds better and i could notice a difference in perf. at high rpms...

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,739 Posts
if you could notice teh difference we wouldnt need a rolling road/dyno, wed just go to blackedcoupele tog et his much more accurate buttdyno, as even a dyno wil have a hard time with change in ambient temps etc.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Yeah I think in most cases it comes down to the placebo effect, the gains from these things at best are like 2kw at certain revs... indistinguishable to any person. And everyone does it lol, I have a friend with a 1.8L POS with like 70kw and he put a K&N filter in and says hes gained power. If your really desperate, just take your spare tyre out etc, I think youd get more out of that (weight reduction)..... for free

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
here's how i noticed a difference...before I did anything to the car, starting from a stop and just flooring it, it would chirp the tires for a split second...after the 'mods' it will chirp the tires for definetely noticeable longer distance...

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,739 Posts
reddevil said:
Hey "terrastrife" u talked about removing the resinator. few questions.

where is it? and how did you remove it? :confused:
its in the wheel well area (really its inside the fender)... pull the plastic infront of the front left wheel off and tehres 2 bolts holding it in.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,739 Posts
theres 2 types of resonators, intake resonators like on the intake tube is designed to change the harmonics or some bullshit of incoming air intot he engine...make more power.

the big ones before the airbox are desigend to get rid of the intake noise.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
here's how i noticed a difference...before I did anything to the car, starting from a stop and just flooring it, it would chirp the tires for a split second...after the 'mods' it will chirp the tires for definetely noticeable longer distance...
Lol that doesnt convince me at all.... a number of factors could have caused more wheel spin - more worn tyres, a different road surface tested on from the first time, less fuel in car and therefore less weight etc.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,739 Posts
Tony the Tiger said:
terrastrife, this is a bit OT, but I love your sig..haha :lol: :thumbup:
and everyone <3's yours too :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.