Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c doesnt work! (89 ST162, manual) when I turn the a/c on, the car stalls. So I took it into an Auto elec about 1 year ago, I cant remember if he said it was the condensor or the compressor...do you know?
So ive found a 2nd hand compressor to buy but i want to make sure it is the compressor I need. HELP!:thumbup:

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
mos def sounds like the compressor. thats the part on the engine the condensor is in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
90 Posts
definatley the compressor. ive had two go out on the jeep i used to have and it always gave me trouble! they can be a little pricey2!:eek:

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Compressors can be serviced although I'm not sure if T16 can but T18 are defininetly serviceble. Toyota even sells a kit for those.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
Real easy test; you get a rag and look for the part that the belt turns, it will not be turning with the AC off and engine running, thats the compressors clutch, its simply an electro magnetic clutch that engages the compressor with the ac button on the dash, with the engine off get the rag over the clutch hub and it should turn kinda easily, if you can not turn it with great amounts of grip, its locked up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts