Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I figured it's time to stop clogging my Corolla's build thread and make a dedicated one.

Here's the story...
Back in August of 2014, 2 1981 Toyota Starlet's popped up on craigslist right down the road from me, for $400. Me and my brother went halves and both paid $200. He signed the titles, so they are in my brothers name.
There was a "good" car and a "bad" car. The good car had a bad motor but a clean body. The bad car had a good engine and rusty body and trashed interior.

The bad car when we bought it.

The good car. Unfortunately it was in a collision and the driver fender was messed up.

Anyway, me and my brother debated for awhile about what to do with them.
He had a bunch of ideas, small block, ford turbo motor, 4.3 v6. Eventually we couldn't agree so we don't have a end goal yet.
Our short term was to at least make one good running car out of the two, then decide what to do.
Time to get to work!

Good motor ready to go in good car.

Bad clutch. The bad engine had a pretty decent clutch on it so I used that.

Ready for engine.

Back in!

More progress.

Ran out of gas one day... :disappoin

The bad car has been stripped (This is around when I decided to buy my brother out of this deal.) So now this is 100% my project.

Fixed the fender.

Hopefully I will have the car driving and legal within a couple weeks.
Also got all the taillights working the way they should. Only problem I'm having with rear wiring is that the fuel tank sender isn't reading.
Once I got the fender back on I thought I was really close to finishing the car, I took the car for a drive and found the heater core was leaking. Had to tear the dash apart again. Ugh. 2-13-15

We got a bunch of snow and I had a little fun in it with the Starlet, ended up busting the exhaust off. From the cat all the way back; it was rotten at the joint and jostled free. It got caught and it looped around the axle, so I had to cut it off. SOO lucky it didn't pinch the rear brake line, it was about an inch away. Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

To remedy this I used the end muffler and just welded it to where it broke off. It comes out angled right in front of the rear tire. It'll work for now.

Anyway, got the heater core swapped, that's all good now. Put the dash back together. Fixed a couple of other little things. I went and got the title transferred from my brothers name to mine.
Also went and got inspection.
Also got insurance.
Just waiting on that title to come in the mail so I can go register and drive this car. 2-17-15

Also got this in the mail from a fellow forum user. Thanks Jolly-John

Alright, today I got the oil filter and carburetor kit. Did both today.

Also have some issues with the carburetor. It was my first rebuild by myself and I feel it went pretty well. (removed carb details because it was not necessary.)

Anyway that's all caught up. If you want to read more gritty details, the original posts are in my Corolla build thread. Starts on page 6.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Tercel
159 Posts
I thought weber carbs were like the best carbs, not sure since i have almost no experience with carbs but i believe that weber is the best from what my friend had told me and he as an 85

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought weber carbs were like the best carbs, not sure since i have almost no experience with carbs but i believe that weber is the best from what my friend had told me and he as an 85
I found that most people use a Weber 32/36 carb. So i'll just get one of those.
I am currently in the process of painting the car, more than likely I'll paint it white.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been awhile, I have been taking pics of the painting process but I will post all those once I finish. It's really close primer now, I have the driver side ready and all i've got to do is work on that left fender and a few more door dings and It'll be ready.

After I finish painting I'm going to replace tie rod ends, ball joints, brake rotors, possibly wheel bearings and hopefully struts if I can find some quick strut assemblies. I also am going to get some sound deadening and do the rear of the car, and replace that black foam stuff around the rear wheel wells with automotive trunk liner.

I really want to paint the car white, but I think silver is a better choice, because if I paint it white then as soo as you open a door you'll see the car has been painted.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now that it's painted I can finally start doing things I've been wanting to do for awhile, generally making the interior nicer. I Plastidipped all the rear plastic panels; wire brushed, and hit all the rust with rust converter and primed the rear spare tire area; then I took the rear seat out and put wood paneling on the rear. It was seriously UGLY before, classy now though.

Picture time!

Anybody have any thoughts? Feeling kind of alone here.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Tercel
159 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the wood but I think a black plastic would've been a bit better, but man I do love how the car is coming along
I know it'll turn out awesome, I wanna know how the finished interior will look!!!
And I think your original idea of silver would have looked more classy

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a big fan of the wood but I think a black plastic would've been a bit better, but man I do love how the car is coming along
I know it'll turn out awesome, I wanna know how the finished interior will look!!!
And I think your original idea of silver would have looked more classy
Hey thanks glad to see I'm not posting these in vain.
I didn't even plan to have the wood, I just really wanted to cover up the ugly seat, I originally had planned to stretch a piece of vinyl but I couldn't find a piece big enough.

I really really wanted to paint it the "aluminum" color that rustoleum made, but alas, they stopped making it and its hard to find and expensive. The only other color I was considering was a really dull gray. I didn't want the gray, so white it was.

I'm considering stripping the interior and painting the interior white as well, but I don't know yet. Right now the priority is tires, lots of sound deadening, and a carb. But that weber carb is $200 new; and that's a little steep for an engine that will probably be taken out soon.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Tercel
159 Posts
Yeah I'd say not to buy the weber and put that money towards that engine swap, also sound deadining in the spare tire area makes a big difference

EDIT: by the way try and fill those holes on the trunk/hatch, will look neater lol
and i usually cannot drive a car without tint in florida since its so hot, will make it look a bit sleeker i guess with tint

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got a set of Falken tires from discount tire direct for $200 with a $70 rebate. It says I'll be getting them tomorrow, hopefully I'll get those mounted on Wednesday, they are a 175/75/13, so a bit wider.

I fabbed up a quick strut bar for the rear...

Soon my sweet, soon...

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Tercel
159 Posts
Why not go with 195/50/15? Its a plus 2 upgrade and 13 inch rims have a very limited tire selection when it comes to performance, and did you weld on that bar?
That turbo thoooo!! How much psi you going to run, and vids of that 4ag would be appreciated lol

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why not go with 195/50/15? Its a plus 2 upgrade and 13 inch rims have a very limited tire selection when it comes to performance, and did you weld on that bar?
That turbo thoooo!! How much psi you going to run, and vids of that 4ag would be appreciated lol
I went with the 13's for now because I haven't made up my mind about my next wheels, and by the time I do i'll probably have these tire wore out. EDIT* Also the tires I have are horrible and I don't want to deal with the shaking anymore.

The strut bar isn't welded directly, I just used two metal circles and drilled holes and welded the bar on. Pretty simple, the only thing I'm not sure of is if the bar is suppose to be under or over the rubber shock washers(?) that go on there. I'll take more pics of that because I don't think I explained it very well.

I got the turbo last winter for $50, came with the old turbo and a rebuild kit, so it was well worth it. It was too good to pass up really. Came off of an old 3.0 Mercedes diesel, hopefully it'll spool okay with the little 1.3.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Tercel
159 Posts
Lol 2 words, hubcentric rings, should solve the wobble, other than that I'm betting the seals in the turbo are probably bad, and yes more pics of the strut bar

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol 2 words, hubcentric rings, should solve the wobble, other than that I'm betting the seals in the turbo are probably bad, and yes more pics of the strut bar
I tried to balance the tires at school, but 3/4 tires are out of round.

I rebuilt the turbo with the included kit so it's good to go.
With the PSI, I was planning 6-8, 10 max. Most of my research led me to believe that 4ks start to blow up past 10.

Will have to grab pics later as it's dark right now.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Tercel
159 Posts
You going to run external or internal wastegate? And OK, I'm sure everyone appreciates being able to see when a turbo isn't burning oil lol, and sweet, yeah I had tread separating on my tires but weren't out of round

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You going to run external or internal wastegate? And OK, I'm sure everyone appreciates being able to see when a turbo isn't burning oil lol, and sweet, yeah I had tread separating on my tires but weren't out of round
The turbo has an internal wastegate, it's set for 10 psi but I think I can change it buy changing the spring if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Putting the turbo on the 4K?
Yes, considering it won't cost a whole lot and if something happens I was planning an engine swap anyway. I've also got a spare engine and tranny in the garage.

4k? you mean 4age?
i know s2000 is s2k lol
I don't have a 4AGE, I want one, but finding a RWD tranny for one is hard.

I got the Falkens today and I couldn't wait to put them on so I went ahead and did it today. Total for them was $198 and I got a $75 rebate for them and warranty, so I think I did alright.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts