Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week, several times when I have left my '08 Hylander, and locked the doors via the remote....several minutes later the alarm was going off. :confused: Has anyone experienced this before? No windows or doors have been open.

Thanks,
Andy
'08 Hylander Sport

·
Registered
104 Posts
This has been a problem with other Highlanders. They have found a faulty hood switch for the alarm.

Reactions: Lesliem5150

·
08 Highlander Sport
2 Posts
08 Highlander Alarm

In the last week, several times when I have left my '08 Hylander, and locked the doors via the remote....several minutes later the alarm was going off. :confused: Has anyone experienced this before? No windows or doors have been open.

Thanks,
Andy
'08 Hylander Sport
I'm having the exact same issue with my alarm system on my 2008 Highlander that I just purchased on 09/20. It goes off randomly for no reason and I think my co-workers are planning to put a hammer to it soon. Did you ever get this resolved? If so, how did the dealer resolve this and which dealer did you take it to? I'm bringing mine in next week and want to give the dealer something to work with.

Thx in advance!
Dan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer was able to fix my alarm problem. It was a faulty hood switch just as 08Highlander mentioned.

When I brought the vehicle in, I directed them towards that. They spent all day trying to find the issue (not listening to me), and then finally called Toyota tech support. Tech support told them to change that switch, and no problem since then.

The dealer was Bernardi Toyota in Framingham, MA.

Good Luck!

Andy

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been away for a few days and left the HL home. When I came back, my neighbors came over and told me that the alarm has been going off nonstop for the past 2 days (day/night). I pulled the Horn's fuses out (#42, 46) and made an appointment for tomorrow. I will add my result to this thread after I find out what the dealer says. I'll mention "faulty hood switch" to them but most likely....they will try to look at other things before they listen to the customers. hahaha

·
08 Highlander Sport
2 Posts
08 Highlander Alarm

I brought my Highlander in and also gave them a copy of this forum thread. Sure enough, it was a 'faulty hood latch'. They were hesitant to take the advice, but fixed the problem in the end. So I'm happy... and so are my neighbors and co-workers! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just curious, I have a 2008 highlander hybrid model and haven't experienced it eversince. Is this a model wide problem for the 2008 highlander? Well, I locked the car by pushing the black button in the door handle, very seldom I used the remote. Does it matter?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just curious, I have a 2008 highlander hybrid model and haven't experienced it eversince. Is this a model wide problem for the 2008 highlander? Well, I locked the car by pushing the black button in the door handle, very seldom I used the remote. Does it matter?
doesnt matter how you lock it. it's the hood latch switch thats acting up. i had my car for 9 months and it just started to act up last sunday.

·
Registered
2009 Highlander LTD
428 Posts
doesnt matter how you lock it. it's the hood latch switch thats acting up. i had my car for 9 months and it just started to act up last sunday.
Anyone know if this is an issue with the 2009s as well?

·
Registered
2009 Highlander LTD
428 Posts
when your 09 starts to act up. we will know. haha
Heh heh heh...I prefer using the word "if" rather than "when".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly a year after having the hood sensor replaced, I had the same problem again this past summer. A replacement of the sensor again solved the problem. For those that have this problem, and turn off the alarm and go away, and then have the alarm go off again, you may think this is crazy since the alarm is not even set. However, what might be hapenning is you set the alarm with the key fob, and leave. When you hear the alarm going off you walk up to the car and unlock the doors with the key fob, and then leave. What happens is that if you unlock with the fob, but don't open a door, then the alarm will reset itself after a certain amount of time. I believe that this is a safety feature.

Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Intermittent?

My alarm went off several times while visiting my folks and parked nose-down on their steep driveway a month or so ago. I could avoid the issue by locking the car using the lock switch inside the driver's door before closing the door - that doesn't set the alarm.

I made anappointment to have the hood switch changed, but I couldn't get the alarm to go off again and couldn't find a steep parking spot to try to replicate the problem.

Have those of you who experienced this problem found it to be intermittent or only when parked nose-down on an incline?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.