Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really use some advice here.

I purchased a new 2007 Camry LE last month with what I thought was the Toyota VIP alarm system. Turns out the dealer mislead me and it is a Karr alarm system.

The dealer has agreed, after much discussion, to swap out the Karr alarm and install either a Toyota VIP or a Viper alarm.

Which one do you all think I should get, the Toyota VIP or a Viper?
I had a Viper in my 94 Camry and was happy with it.
Is there any advantage or disadvantage either way?

They said that they have never installed a Toyota VIP on a 2007 Camry LE...should I be concerned?

They Karr alarm LED is a big ugly plastic mount under and to the left of the steering wheel, when they remove it there will be 2 holes there from the mounting screws...the dealer said they will put the screws back so that it is not so visible...I want them to replace the plastic with a new piece so that there are no holes at all...what do you all think?

Where is a good place to mount the new LED from the new alarm?
I would prefer to make it easy for them, ( less potential for problems ) and still have it visible but yet not obtrusive and nasty looking. Any ideas?

The reason that this is urgent is that the dealer wants me to bring the car the day after tomorrow, which is 30 days from when I purchased it. I fear that if I don't they will refuse any further help because more than 30 days will have passed.

Thank you all,
Fred
 

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
fsphoto said:
I could really use some advice here.

I purchased a new 2007 Camry LE last month with what I thought was the Toyota VIP alarm system. Turns out the dealer mislead me and it is a Karr alarm system.

The dealer has agreed, after much discussion, to swap out the Karr alarm and install either a Toyota VIP or a Viper alarm.

Which one do you all think I should get, the Toyota VIP or a Viper?
I had a Viper in my 94 Camry and was happy with it.
Is there any advantage or disadvantage either way?

They said that they have never installed a Toyota VIP on a 2007 Camry LE...should I be concerned?

They Karr alarm LED is a big ugly plastic mount under and to the left of the steering wheel, when they remove it there will be 2 holes there from the mounting screws...the dealer said they will put the screws back so that it is not so visible...I want them to replace the plastic with a new piece so that there are no holes at all...what do you all think?

Where is a good place to mount the new LED from the new alarm?
I would prefer to make it easy for them, ( less potential for problems ) and still have it visible but yet not obtrusive and nasty looking. Any ideas?

The reason that this is urgent is that the dealer wants me to bring the car the day after tomorrow, which is 30 days from when I purchased it. I fear that if I don't they will refuse any further help because more than 30 days will have passed.

Thank you all,
Fred
I have seen VIP installed on LE, SE, XLE all done by the dealership.
 

·
Registered
07 Camry SE
Joined
·
36 Posts
As to which alarm is better, the VIP or the Viper, I really can't say. I also have had a Viper alarm in the past and was happy with it but I am no expert on alarms. I am sure someone else can help you with that question.

Now regarding your second question. If they have experience installing alarms it should not be a problem for them to install the VIP alarm. It is a genuine Toyota part and as such they should have at least 1 technician who has been trained to install it. Plus they will have the Toyota factory support if they need it. Also it has the benefit of being covered under the Toyota warranty.

As far as the holes from the current led unit: there is no way I would let them get away with just putting the screws back in so the holes are not visible. The dealer was at fault here for trying to pass off the Karr alarm as the VIP. You called them on it and at the very least they need to order you a new panel. I would not let them get away with anything less. Be polite but firm. If they are not willing to work with you on it you can call Toyota USA and find out the name & number of the regional rep. He/she would then put pressure on the dealer to make things right. Don't let the dealer pressure you into this 30 day time period either. Again they are in the wrong. They misled you and now they have to make it right whether its been 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, whatever.
 

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
Joined
·
5,838 Posts
sigmund said:
As to which alarm is better, the VIP or the Viper, I really can't say. I also have had a Viper alarm in the past and was happy with it but I am no expert on alarms. I am sure someone else can help you with that question.

Now regarding your second question. If they have experience installing alarms it should not be a problem for them to install the VIP alarm. It is a genuine Toyota part and as such they should have at least 1 technician who has been trained to install it. Plus they will have the Toyota factory support if they need it. Also it has the benefit of being covered under the Toyota warranty.

As far as the holes from the current led unit: there is no way I would let them get away with just putting the screws back in so the holes are not visible. The dealer was at fault here for trying to pass off the Karr alarm as the VIP. You called them on it and at the very least they need to order you a new panel. I would not let them get away with anything less. Be polite but firm. If they are not willing to work with you on it you can call Toyota USA and find out the name & number of the regional rep. He/she would then put pressure on the dealer to make things right. Don't let the dealer pressure you into this 30 day time period either. Again they are in the wrong. They misled you and now they have to make it right whether its been 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, whatever.
+1 :thumbup:

In regard to the location of the blinking light, I have Viper installed on my 07 LE I4 and I chose not to use the blinking light instead I use the factory light to the left of the clock. As you click on the lock button the light of icon of a car will be blinking. Also, I also have the Viper integrated into my factory keyless remote car key. So make sure you insist on getting this done if you decide to go with Viper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
lammydi said:
+1 :thumbup:

In regard to the location of the blinking light, I have Viper installed on my 07 LE I4 and I chose not to use the blinking light instead I use the factory light to the left of the clock. As you click on the lock button the light of icon of a car will be blinking. Also, I also have the Viper integrated into my factory keyless remote car key. So make sure you insist on getting this done if you decide to go with Viper.
how did you get that done? The viper integrating into the factory keyless remote car key. What is the purpose of this? Also did you do anything to make the alarm light light on the factory light instead of using the one viper gave you?
 

·
Registered
1994 Camry LE
Joined
·
380 Posts
Damn. I must be the only person who lives in an area where I don't even need to lock my car at night, let alone install an alarm.
 

·
Registered
07 Camry SE
Joined
·
36 Posts
02whiteLE said:
Damn. I must be the only person who lives in an area where I don't even need to lock my car at night, let alone install an alarm.
Considerng the Camry is a very popular car to steal due to the high market demand for the parts I am going to do whatever I can to keep it from getting stolen. My wife's friend had her '94 Camry stolen from right in front of her house. Trust me, if you saw this car you would not think it a car worth stealing. Truth is chop shops love Camrys and Accords. Camrys are consistently listed high on the National Insurance Crime Bureau's annual list of top ten most stolen cars.

I've owned many cars but my Camry is the only car on which I've had LoJack installed.
 

·
Registered
07 Camry SE
Joined
·
36 Posts
According to Toyota's accessories brochure for the '07 Camry the VIP Security - RS3200 Plus System has: rolling code protection, remote arming/disarming, remote locking/unlocking, panic mode operation, interior and exterior light operation, ignition-controlled automatic door lock/unlock, glass breakage sensor and starter disable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
djpeetur said:
can you add a shock sensor to the VIP system?
I started a thread about this a while back and it died with no responses. I think that the DEI shock sensor or proximity sensors will work in the Camry, but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it. You or I may be the first to try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
08586-3T930 - VIP Security System, RS3200 Plus & Glass >Breakage Sensor, QTY: 1.00 @ $112.35 Order part at the dealership and do not need it anymore. $110 plus $5 priority mail shipping.

THIS IS FOR 2007 CAMRY ONLY
 

·
Francois L'Ollonais
Joined
·
297 Posts
I have shock sensors with my Prestige alarm and it works great. They come with the alarm.

As far as the blinking light is concerned, I also did not install the LED from the kit. I also get the "security" blinking from factory when I activate the Prestige alarm. To be honest, I dont know if I had it from before or somewhere along when I made a connection from the alarm to the ignition, power, accesory cables it triggers the light to blink. Maybe when you cut the starter? I dont know.:dunno:
 

·
Francois L'Ollonais
Joined
·
297 Posts
Oh yeah, get them to replace that for you. It was their mistake. Dealer bastards.
 

·
Registered
2020 Camry TRD
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
i dont think there's anything wrong with the Karr Alarm system. we hav one on our '07 camry se and the dealer even integrated the alarm to the key fob so now extra key fobs for us. and i think Karr is great. used to have one on our old focus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
where do you live? ................... exactly?

02whiteLE said:
Damn. I must be the only person who lives in an area where I don't even need to lock my car at night, let alone install an alarm.
 

·
BANNED
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Can't really tell you which one is better since you aren't specific on which Viper model alarm. Thats like saying which is better the Nissan Sentra or Honda.

sigmund said:
Considerng the Camry is a very popular car to steal due to the high market demand for the parts I am going to do whatever I can to keep it from getting stolen. My wife's friend had her '94 Camry stolen from right in front of her house. Trust me, if you saw this car you would not think it a car worth stealing. Truth is chop shops love Camrys and Accords. Camrys are consistently listed high on the National Insurance Crime Bureau's annual list of top ten most stolen cars.

I've owned many cars but my Camry is the only car on which I've had LoJack installed.
Yea, lots of people have the Camry. They were way easier to steal back then since it was so primative in security vs today's standards. But for the new Camrys with the engine immobolizer chip it may prevent amateur thieves but nothing I can't bypass. Try owning one of the most stolen car (mine accounted for more then half of the 10 most stolen car in the US), that will get your paranoid on security system.
 

·
2007 Camry SE V6
Joined
·
165 Posts
akira751 said:
I have seen VIP installed on LE, SE, XLE all done by the dealership.
What dealership installed your VIP alarm? Cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
jm18909 said:
i dont think there's anything wrong with the Karr Alarm system. we hav one on our '07 camry se and the dealer even integrated the alarm to the key fob so now extra key fobs for us. and i think Karr is great. used to have one on our old focus.
I called a few dealers.. They are charging $$$$ for the installation.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top