Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i have a 92 camy that had the audiovox prestige APS 500 alarm installed. This broke and adivox sent me the APS 510 alarm instead b/c APS 500 has been discountinued. Now I need to install the 510. The 500 was removed by a car alarm shop to send it back to Audiovox.

Anyway, the bottom line is this - I need help in installing the APS 510. The car still has the LED, toggle switch, siren and the truck pin from the previous alarm. I want to replace all this with the ones from the alarm of course.

I need to find the following to hook up the alarm wires to. If someone can tell me where they are, I'd gladly appreciate it. I am planning on taking pics and write a publication so that it will help other users.

1. I have three wires from the APS (red, green, Red/Blk) for the door lock, unlock. WHere do I connect these wires for the door lock, unlock?

2. Need to connect a white wire to the left/right parking light... where is this wire?

3. Need to cut the "existing low current start solenoid wire" to hook up the starter disable relay.. Where is this wire (although this should've had a cut and re-wired from the previous installation)

4. Is there a differnece between the +12 V Ign./Crank wire and the +12 Volt Supply (battery source). Either way, I need to find both these wires.

5. Don't knwo if the camry is like the FOrd (positive door pin switch) or like GM (negative door pin switch). Can someone tell me and where I can find the respective wire?

I don't plan on connecting to the horn or headlight, so am not going to worry about these things.

6. WHere do I ground inside the dash?

7. Most importantly, shoud I unplug the battery before I begin the install.

I already visited www.12volt.com for assistance and still have the above questions.

The installation diagram of the APS 51- can be found here:

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/installation/1285756_IM.pdf

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
maneesh

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
My suggestion is, if you not experienced with installing alarms, pay someone to do it right. Your alarm protects your car and valuables, I wouldn't want to mess that up, and have everything in you car stolen, because you screwed up somewhere.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry
1,384 Posts
eddiem67 said:
My suggestion is, if you not experienced with installing alarms, pay someone to do it right. Your alarm protects your car and valuables, I wouldn't want to mess that up, and have everything in you car stolen, because you screwed up somewhere.
Exactly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
eddiem67 said:
I agree! the questions that you asked were not ones that would be asked by someone partaking in an alarm install. nothing personal just don't think you are ready.

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
installation

Normally, that is what I would've done... However, no one wants to install the alarm that I have... They want to sell me a new one (which they are used to installing) and pay for the labor - which totally makes this alarm a waste.

More importantly than the alarm installation - I'm asking for the location for specific wires in the 92 Camry.

Thanks,
maneesh

·
Grenaded piston
6,614 Posts
Wiring diagram:

http://trd.gotnet.net/wireinfo.jpg

One of the wires for the door lock/unlock is wrong. I forget which one, so you'll have to figure it out.

Don't come back asking me how to find the wires, otherwise I'll send you a bill for $45/hr (consultation fee). :D

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

88LE - you're da man... At $45/hr.. that is cheap.. can you fix my AC and do the conversion to R134 ?

Will snoop around to get the color of the lock/unlock wire.

Cheers,
maneesh

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installed the alarm finally

Hi all,

Thanks to the many posts with wiring diagrams and such, I was finally able to finish the alarm installation. I did not have to do some of the work (IE: trunk pin install, making a hole for the siren) b/c the previous alarm install had it already...

I'll submit some detailed instructions when I get a chance so that hopefully, it will help others...

Thanks,
maneesh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts