Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alignment, 2017 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 25,000 miles

I took the Highlander to Toyota Dealer for a recall to replace “Oil Cooler Pipe”. I didn’t notice when I drove into their service bay, there was a row of sensors on the floor near the garage door. The Service Advisor called me over to his computer screen. He had a graphic display that indicated 3 wheels are out of alignment. I found that the sensors on the floor are part of Hunter Alignment Checking Machine. The Advisor recommended a 4-wheel alignment for a price of $125.00. I declined. The tires aren’t showing any indication of extreme out-of-the-ordinary wear. I suspect that the Hunter Alignment Checking Machine is a revenue producing sales device. Anyone familiar with it? Is it really accurate? I’m wondering now, if the wheels are out-of-alignment, maybe the wheels have been out of alignment from the factory. I seriously doubt that any new vehicles are driven over the Hunter Alignment Checking Machine to check alignment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yup, noticed these recently installed alignment devices when I drove up to the service bay at my local Toyota dealership. They also told me my HL needed an alignment based on the laser readings. Not sure how accurate these things are, and also assumed they are a revenue generator, so I told them thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would ask how your vehicle tracks out on the highway? My 2017 is the straightest and easiest long distance driver I've ever had. After it was properly aligned. When I first got it, it did not track as well as my 2011 Traverse, which was a darn good long distance vehicle in the first place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would ask how your vehicle tracks out on the highway? My 2017 is the straightest and easiest long distance driver I've ever had. After it was properly aligned. When I first got it, it did not track as well as my 2011 Traverse, which was a darn good long distance vehicle in the first place.
Glad somebody brought up the tracking issue. My 2017 Limited is not pleasant to drive on the interstate highway because it requires constant steering input. No uneven tire wear. I had it aligned a while back and that did not make a difference. It still has the original Toyo A20's 245/55/19 tires at 34,500 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2017 HH Limited has always had a very slight pull to the left on the highway, sometimes not noticeable. I have found a local independent shop that has a good reputation for alignments. I'll drop a post after I have them do an alignment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 2017 HH Limited has always had a very slight pull to the left on the highway, sometimes not noticeable. I have found a local independent shop that has a good reputation for alignments. I'll drop a post after I have them do an alignment.
No pull to either side on mine. It just requires constant steering input.
Thanks - J Tab

·
Registered
62 Posts
The technology of these alignment checkers are very good, but minor castor or camber issues typically don't cause tire wear issues. Toe on the other hand doesn't take much. The issue arises when the shop that has the technology abuses it to recommend an alignment when there are no tire wear concerns and the car isn't presenting any tracking, centering, or pulling issues. That said, in many cases making adjustments along the way keeps adjusters freed up saving cost down the road by not having them froze up. Obviously an issue primarily in areas that have rust issues.

·
2019 Le Plus
136 Posts
I did my first 5,000 mile tire rotation on my 2019 Highlander and noticed several of the tires when removed could barely keep themselves upright. My miles are mainly highway and don't take corners aggressively, it this normal for suv/ car tires?

I've downsized from an Ford F250 and those tire never had a problem staying upright by themselves (those tires were probably only 1/2" wider then the Highlander tires).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did my first 5,000 mile tire rotation on my 2019 Highlander and noticed several of the tires when removed could barely keep themselves upright. My miles are mainly highway and don't take corners aggressively, it this normal for suv/ car tires?

I've downsized from an Ford F250 and those tire never had a problem staying upright by themselves (those tires were probably only 1/2" wider then the Highlander tires).
Very different tires between your comparison vehicles, plus the Highlander tires have much more flex in the sidewalls which would make them less likely to stand on their own. Definitely not a telling test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts