Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official IS dude
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...most of you know the story of my bent LR wheel.

Now, I think that the impact also messed up my front alignment.

The inner tread of the LF tire is all gone... but the other tires look fine, even the one that got bent (LR).

The car doesn't pull to the left or the right... but i do feel some vibrations at about 60-70kmh.

True or False Dealer recommendation: Lexus tech came on test drive and recommended I should buy 2 new front tires and do an alignment to solve the problem. They said that getting the 2 new tires would ensure that I get a better alignment. Possibly the toe/camber is off causing the uneven tire wear --> which is causing the vibrations.

What i think: Save a few $$ and Switch my rear tires to the front and do the alignment...

any ideas?

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
I'll have to disagree for the most part. The alignment machine uses the wheel as a reference point. Assuming your tires are within normal conditions, new tires aren't necessary to do a proper alignment.

Having said that, this is also assuming your wheels are properly balanced, brakes aren't dragging, bearings are good and bad alignment IS in fact the root cause of the vibration.

PS-the fact that your car is lowered, taking it to the dealer might not be the best idea. Those monkeys just set things to factory spec.

·
Official IS dude
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
car is still at stock height...
all the wheels are balanced...

Phi: so what you're saying is.. it is possible to just do the alignment without getting new tires?... and what exactly do u mean by "Normal conditions"?

3 of my tires look fine... just one of them has excessive wear on the inner tread.

my idea was to rotate the good tires to the front and then do a front alignment

1 - 12 of 12 Posts