Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
they are all turbo equipped according to auto zone, 11% of them were FI 22RE turbo according to their info

mines 87 22RE fuel injection auto trans posi rear xtracab and A43D transmission model it has in it- auto with overdrive

will it be worth anything as parts when i get tired of it in in a couple months ?

or is the drivetrain junk and needs to go to shredder wth the truck ?

it runs and drives fine and has good power but the body is majorly rusted out cept for doors and hood

·
Registered
49 Posts
fast68 said:
they are all turbo equipped according to auto zone, 11% of them were FI 22RE turbo according to their info

mines 87 22RE fuel injection auto trans posi rear xtracab and A43D transmission model it has in it- auto with overdrive

will it be worth anything as parts when i get tired of it in in a couple months ?

or is the drivetrain junk and needs to go to shredder wth the truck ?

it runs and drives fine and has good power but the body is majorly rusted out cept for doors and hood
I don't know where AutoZone gets their information, but exactly zero 22R engines came with a turbo. The turbo only came with EFI 22RE engines. Also, unless you or a previous owner installed one, you do not have a posi (which is a term I hate BTW), no Toyota trucks were available with limited slip differentials. Ever. Later Tacomas were available with the electric locker but never a limited slip or positraction (GM trademarked name).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
mine is EFI, thats what i said up there go and look

i have 1987 2wd 22RE FI with A43D trans

yes i know posi traction and limited slip are gm units ive always been a '67-up GM truck and RWD car guy so i am going to call it posi and nothing else 'cuz i have no idea what those damn japanese call it, i have a real hard time believing that no toyotas have posi rear lol, if mine is not posi then why do both my rear tires get power all the time and not just right rear ?

are you sure that you know about toyotas, or ?

thanks for any explainations here

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^Toy283 said that no turbo trucks used the 22R engine which is carburetted. It's called a 22RET if it's turbo equipped. He never said you had a 22R. He also said that no trucks came from the factory with "posi" or limited slip differentials. If you had one, then someone added it after purchase, which he said in HIS post. Go read it. And don't get your panties in a bunch.

You can probably part out your engine, diffs, and maybe suspension bits, but I doubt too many people are interested in the auto tranny. I can't figure out if you are saying yours is a turbo truck or not, or if your just clowning on Autozone. If it is a turbo engine, then it's worth something, sure, especially if someone wants to do a conversion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
fast68 said:
This line says to me that AutoZone groups 22R EFI as a separate engine to a 22RE. Simply put, they are the exact same engine. A 22R EFI is a 22RE, the "E" stands for EFI. So for them to say that "all 22R EFI engines are turbo" is simply rediculous. My problems are with AutoZone (and most other discount parts stores in one way or another). In '87, there were three engines available for Toyota trucks, all derivatives of the same basic engine:
1. 22R, carbed 2.4 liter 4-cylinder
2. 22RE, same engine with EFI
3. 22RET, same engine but with EFI and a turbo.
The turbos do probably include about 11% of all the engines for that year, the other two each account for probably roughly half of the remainder.

As for a factory limited slip. They simply don't exist in U.S. model Toyota trucks of any vintage. Supras had them as well as some later model Landcruisers and possibly 4Runners (uncertain). I don't know why you think both tires are getting equal power, I don't care. You could very well have a limited slip, there are several out there that can be retro-fitted. My point is that they are not factory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
86 Toyota Turbo-22RTEC

I have a 1986 Toyota Turbo Pickup. The designation is actually 22RTEC in my 1986 truck. It is the 22R Motor with a Turbo Charger and EFI. From what I have been able to find out, Toyota did not make many in this combination. Mine is an extra cab with foru wheel drive and an automatic.

·
C5 Meter Minder
304 Posts
If youre trying to fixed a rusted part on your gas tank, ask for the fuel pump bracket. The fuel sender will be just that, a float and a pot!

·
BBB's Lil friend!
Toyota
35 Posts
fast68 said:
mine is EFI, thats what i said up there go and look

i have 1987 2wd 22RE FI with A43D trans

yes i know posi traction and limited slip are gm units ive always been a '67-up GM truck and RWD car guy so i am going to call it posi and nothing else 'cuz i have no idea what those damn japanese call it, i have a real hard time believing that no toyotas have posi rear lol, if mine is not posi then why do both my rear tires get power all the time and not just right rear ?

are you sure that you know about toyotas, or ?

thanks for any explainations here
Aftermarket. You do not have a limi slip unless its aftermarket. As said before. Im sure Toy283 knows more about toyotas than you do..considering you using autozone...i wouldnt question him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts