Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,514 Posts
I wanted to check for codes so I found the little diagnostic box, but when I opened it, it's got this yellowish, creamy gunk inside. Anybody know what this is, what to do about it?

It's dielectric grease. Leave it. I could be wrong but I think TE1 = T1 on some cars.

·
2012 Corolla
2,514 Posts
No engine codes alright but for the trans codes you'll need to connect the paper clip between Tt and E1. Turn the key ON, O/D switch ON.

Code list for the A140E, not sure if it applies to 1986 models. Probably.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Camry LE, 2S-E engine
12 Posts
No engine codes alright but for the trans codes you'll need to connect the paper clip between Tt and E1. Turn the key ON, O/D switch ON.

Code list for the A140E, not sure if it applies to 1986 models. Probably.

Super helpful, thank you! I have the Chilton's repair guide for83-92 Camry and oddly enough, it had instructions on retrieving engine codes but nothing on the transmission. I got code 61, which is a fault with speed sensor no. 2.
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before 1996 getting

Before OBDII getting codes requires putting a jumper wire between E1 and T1 in the diagnosis connector in engine compartment
then counting the flashes of Check engine Light.

Look for thread on reading codes for Gen 2

after OBDIInthere is a plug you use a scanner for inside car. then it tells you the code
I put a jumper between e1 and te1, check engine light came on my 94 camry, but didn't flash. After, I pulled the jumper, I removed the EFI fuse, but it didn't clear. What am I doing wrong.

·
2012 Corolla
2,514 Posts
@Colsen1979 Maybe the jumper didn't make contact inside the diagnostic port for a number of reasons, i.e. wire gauge too small, diag port corroded / dirty / too greasy.
Normally when removing the EFI fuse it's good practice to wait a little bit before reinstalling in order to drain any residual charge from inside the ECU that could prevent the memory from being effectively cleared. I've always had good luck with just counting to 10 before reinstalling the fuse. If that doesn't work try unplugging the battery. Probably you need to fix what causes the CEL to light up in the first place. Maybe you have indeed cleared the code but then the problem gets instantly detected on the next engine start, causing the CEL to reappear.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.