Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. newb here.

Having a bit of a problem here. I removed my fuel injectors to be cleaned. (91 previa LE) when I got back from the shop after i dropped it off, i found out the cyliders are flooded, up to the spot were the injectors where, and now there is a puddle of gas under the vehicle.

Now im hesitant to do anything else with the gas still in the cylinders. How do I get it out? i friend of mine suggested that I disconnect the spark plugs and crank it to get the gas out ( im guessing to the exhaust manifold)

just dont want this stupid mistake to turn into a very bad one.

any help is appreciated

ecurioso

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
Hi all. newb here.

Having a bit of a problem here. I removed my fuel injectors to be cleaned. (91 previa LE) when I got back from the shop after i dropped it off, i found out the cyliders are flooded, up to the spot were the injectors where, and now there is a puddle of gas under the vehicle.

Now im hesitant to do anything else with the gas still in the cylinders. How do I get it out? i friend of mine suggested that I disconnect the spark plugs and crank it to get the gas out ( im guessing to the exhaust manifold)

just dont want this stupid mistake to turn into a very bad one.

any help is appreciated

ecurioso

Remove the plugs, use a vacuum brake bleeder to get out most of the gas from the cylinders, turn engine over by hand to get the pistons to TDC to get out as much as possible. After you get the gas out, crank the engine with the plugs removed to ensure nothing liquid is in the manifold. Any significant liquid volume in the manifold is REALLY bad news - liquids don't compress, and if the engine turns with plugs in, you may break things.

And have a LARGE fire extinguisher handy with that much gas being sloshed around, just in case... Also plan to change the oil as soon as possible - fuel contamination is bad news there as well.

And good luck.:ugh3:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the plugs, use a vacuum brake bleeder to get out most of the gas from the cylinders, turn engine over by hand to get the pistons to TDC to get out as much as possible. After you get the gas out, crank the engine with the plugs removed to ensure nothing liquid is in the manifold. Any significant liquid volume in the manifold is REALLY bad news - liquids don't compress, and if the engine turns with plugs in, you may break things.

And have a LARGE fire extinguisher handy with that much gas being sloshed around, just in case... Also plan to change the oil as soon as possible - fuel contamination is bad news there as well.

And good luck.:ugh3:
you mean the intake manifold right?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Yes.

As posted by Frodo DON'T crank the engine over with the starter UNTIL you can turn it over by hand using a breaker bar and socket with plugs out. Get as much gas out as you can then turn the engine over by hand very slowly (plugs out).

Disconnect the battery to prevent any possibility of electrical sparking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.

As posted by Frodo DON'T crank the engine over with the starter UNTIL you can turn it over by hand using a breaker bar and socket with plugs out. Get as much gas out as you can then turn the engine over by hand very slowly (plugs out).

Disconnect the battery to prevent any possibility of electrical sparking.
thank you very much. breaker bar and socket.check. so i would be doing this from under the hood right? ( turning by hand) im assuming i need tu turn it a full cycle(?) meaning every piston has done a full cycle.

im such a newb. its my dads van.

again thank you very much

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
you mean the intake manifold right?
Actually, both the intake and the cylinders. You flooded the intake - getting the gas out of it is important, and relatively easy with the injectors removed.. But, you also are likely to have gotten 'lucky' in that some of the gas got into the cylinders (like through open intake valves).

Again, get the gas out, make sure there isn't any liquid in the engine, and proceed with extreme caution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again thanks for the replies. turned the engine with the plugs out. gor some gasoline out of the cylinders. It seems when i take the injectors out, gas comes out of the fuel rail and into the cylinders, so i stopped that. and after a few days of turning the engine, no more gas coming out. i put everything back together. cranked the engine. voila! wont start. took the plugs out again, soaked. and there is gas again (not flooded) in the cylinder. seems there is more in the intake. so couple questions:

How long should i turnd the engine to get all the gas out? Is there any other way? whne
is it normal that when you take the injectors out, gas flows from the fuel rail even if battery is disconnected?

thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts