Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 921 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than creating multiple threads on stuff like this, I'm going to dump stuff I come across in here.

Here's today's interesting story:

Stunning NASA Image Catches A Volcanic Explosion On Jupiter's Moon

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-volcanic-explosion-on-jupiters-moon-io-2014-3

NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft zipped past Jupiter and caught this image of Io, the planet’s third-largest moon, as a volcano was erupting on the surface. The plume emanating from the Tvashtar volcano is 200 miles high.

Locked in a perpetual tug of war between the imposing gravity of Jupiter and the smaller, consistent pulls of its neighboring moons, Io’s distorted orbit causes it to flex as it swoops around the gas giant. The stretching causes friction and intense heat in Io’s interior, sparking massive eruptions across its surface.

Here's a GIF of the explosion in action:

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Blowing a gasket at the incompetence of the universe mainly coming from earth?

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,924 Posts
Rather than creating multiple threads on stuff like this, I'm going to dump stuff I come across in here.

Here's today's interesting story:

Stunning NASA Image Catches A Volcanic Explosion On Jupiter's Moon
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-volcanic-explosion-on-jupiters-moon-io-2014-3
Speaking of the moons of Jupiter (and also referring to the moons of Saturn), I've always been a big fan of the idea that it's not only other planets orbiting other stars in the galaxy that we should be considering that life could exist, but also we need to accept and look into the very real possibility that life exists on Earth or near-Earth sized moons that orbit gas giant planets in other star systems. I'll bet you can effectively double the number of planets/moons that can harbor life in the galaxy when you consider that possibility.

I look forward to the new optical telescopes coming online the next couple of decades that will be capable of imaging alien planets directly. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're already thinking Jupiter's moon Europa could have life on it, so I don't think those searches are too far behind.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,924 Posts
They're already thinking Jupiter's moon Europa could have life on it, so I don't think those searches are too far behind.
Word around the campfire is a Europa orbiter with maybe...maybe...some kind of impacting-type lander could get the official go-ahead in the next couple of years. Ever since they discovered water geysers at Europa's south pole very similar to the water geysers on Saturn's moon Enceladeus it lit a fire under a lot of people's asses to get an orbiter there to sample the geysers for compositional content and also organics. :thumbsup:

G

·
0 Posts
Word around the campfire is a Europa orbiter with maybe...maybe...some kind of impacting-type lander could get the official go-ahead in the next couple of years. Ever since they discovered water geysers at Europa's south pole very similar to the water geysers on Saturn's moon Enceladeus it lit a fire under a lot of people's asses to get an orbiter there to sample the geysers for compositional content and also organics. :thumbsup:
Wondering about the radiation intensity around Europa. Jupiter is not a happy place for life forms. Its radiation belts are really intense in place.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/belts.html

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,924 Posts
Wondering about the radiation intensity around Europa. Jupiter is not a happy place for life forms. Its radiation belts are really intense in place.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/belts.html
For subsurface life, the miles of ice and water lying overhead would provide a worthy shield. Also, right here on Earth there's a lot of bacteria and even higher life forms that live just fine in very high radiation.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,924 Posts
Any of you guys eagerly awaiting the reboot of the TV series "Cosmos" with Neil deGrasse Tyson?
I am too. I like his no bullshit delivery, and I also subscribe to a lot of his positions on things.

G

·
0 Posts
I'll take Tyson over Sagan. Sagan was a nimrod with an obnoxious delivery on his narration, but that's just me.
He believed the bullshit about "nuclear winter" which was a KGB disinformation trick intended to discourage NATO from deploying the Pershing 2 and Cruise Missile to counter the Soviet SS-20. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Tretyakov_(intelligence_officer) )

His "science" programs contained an understated message of Elitism, Collectivism and Statism and he came from Ithaca NY, the City of Evil. Every fucking time you turned around on his show it was how the Collective would unite every one.

Other than those obvious blemishes, he was not a bad person. I appreciated how he made science seem "cool". Did not care for his flaming Progressive horseshit.

1 - 20 of 921 Posts