Toyota Nation Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
You said it yourself, but there comes a point where it's just a waste of time and money to re-create what came from the factory. It's different if you're attempting something unique or a one-off, like your friend is doing.

That's why you don't see many successful conversions. Even they big talkers who swear they can do it - they never post up again and just disappear.

Throw up some pics of your friend's conversion, I'm sure everyone would like to see :D

and i am sure that with all the talkers that get online with big plans, dont fully research and plan any mods properly then put it in the too hard basket.....

blaccasjay.....90 model gts in cardomain.com..... he has pics on there.......both myself and him are the only ones in the world to own 3vz-fe converted 5th gen celica's........ their are 6th gens but only 2 5th gens... to my knowledge..........

and pics of my celica and v6 conversion, can be found on my imageshack.us/fibrewizard...... album............

both him and myself have video's on youtube...... search V6 celica...... there are many 6th gens on there but only mine and his are 5th gens.....

i will update my build thread when more gets done..........

·
Registered
112 Posts
idk if anyone has sugested this but i dont have time to read threw 6 pages but if your that good of a fabricator build a 7th gen all trac that would be wicked bad a** lol i mean why build a 6th gen just get a rwd supra :)

·
Registered
1994 Supra Turbo
37 Posts
AWD 7th gen sounds cool.
I have a few 1992 All Trac parts im selling here in miami; rear differential with support frame axles brakes hubs , driveshaft , gas tank

·
Registered
64 Posts
to do a 7th gen alltrac......

just get the rav 4 runnin gear.......

they use the 2zz..... so would bolt to the 4wd tranny and fab rear diff and axles in........ that would be wicked.....

also the v6 out of the rav 4 would be a great powerplant

·
Registered
22 Posts
i learned alot reading through this thread..... great stuff....
i have a 91 celica gt with a blown motor and megan coilovers
im debating swappin a 3sgte or just buying an all-trac...

i have a 94 honda accord 5 speed with a f22b vtech swap and a 84 3series bmw 318i aswell
if anyone is interested let me know because i want to get back into celicas!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this lil bit of info I found In GRM is true But this is what it said

If you’re completely nuts, you could take the drivetrain and rear suspension from a five-speed, all-wheel-drive Rav 4, mate it to the MR2 Turbo’s 3S-GTE engine, and create a rally-ready Celica GT-4, a car that is available nearly everywhere except North America. The 1994-’99 sixth-generation Celica actually has all of the mounting bosses on its unibody and even a “transmission” tunnel to accommodate the all-wheel-drive parts.

But I saw somewhere else that this is true for the front of the 6th gens. But the rear of the car is different.. But is it just the gas tank that is in the wrong spot?? or something else. I have no plans of doing this just curios...

·
Registered
599 Posts
the 6th gen is set up for AWD, the gas tank needs to be removed and GT4 tank used, but the tunnel is set up for AWD.

The 5th gen celicas do NO have the same tunnel as the ST185 therefore it will be much more difficult to convert a 5th gen to an All-Trac

·
Registered
3 Posts
SO all that would need to be done is swap gas tanks?? and of course rear axle move exhaust and add awd trans??? How is that hard to do??? sounds kinda easy... Other then adding strength to the rest of the frame... or am i wrong??? I may end up doing this then just because I gotta 94 rav4 with a 5 speed that blew its engine......

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
As I understand it, the hatchback has the appropriate mounting points. I don't know if that's true or just hearsay. Looking at my brothers coupe, I can say beyond a reasonable doubt it does not. The floor pan in the rear is simply too close to the ground.

That said, someone built a RWD 7th gen Celica using a Supra rear end. Anything is possible if you have the budget for it.

This may be of interest. ST204 AWD conversion As with all projects of this nature it isn't moving super fast but he's doing some very nice work. It may be to your advantage to collaborate with him to further your own knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will put mine on a lift friday. and see what it looks like underthere. But when i was under there throwing on a new muffler last week it looks like the only thing stopping me from doing it is gas tank... But I haven't looked at the rav4 as of yet to see if they are a match... I read somewhere it was. doesn't mean its true. I do know the trans will work. But anymore then that its up in the air....

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like im next to take on this challenge

SO I have decide to take on this challenge and plan on documenting every step.. I think :) I recieved the front clip and all on friday and now its in storage. I also have future plans of doing a Caldina Swap in my first Gen Mr2.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.