Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so for the last little while, I've had this idea bouncing around in my head of doing an alltrac conversion. Wanted to know if anyone else has done research on this. Now, what I know so far, The E154F out of a Celi GT4 is basically an E153 with a transfercase bolted to the back. should be straight drop in for my engine bay. What I'm sort of iffy about is setting up the driveshaft/rear end. I'm thinking to go and buy a GT4 clip since there's a few importers in my city, and see what I can do, but curious on how much would be straight fit, and how much would need modifying. I'm certain I'd have to rerout exhaust and maybe make some space in the center tunnel, and perhaps swap from fuel tank to fuel cell, and do some mods to the celi rear subframe to fit it to the Camry rear end. Of course, at the same time, I'd probably pop on a turbo for some extra oomph ;) perhaps the GT28 in my garage... Nothing too nuts though, the Mk1.5 has me covered for craziness.

And in case anyone is wondering why I'm not thinking about swapping to a Scoobie WRX/GT4 Celica/Legacy, well, I just love the Camry styling, the 3VZ engine note, and cheap insurance/registration - My buddy pays 10x what I pay for his Evo, and I'm sure the WRX would be in the same range.

So, thoughts about doing an Alltrac conversion? :naughty:

3,034 Posts
Anyone that does have information on how to do an All-Trac conversion won't tell you anything.
Based off a information I got from a friend who works for Toyota, there isn't too much additional beyond bolting everything up (and the driveshaft area of course). I believe he said there would be an issue with the rear driveshaft being just a little short and welding is required.
Being that he is always doing "frankenstein" motor swaps with people's cars, I would definitely trust that his information is somewhat accurate.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, well, you can always hope! :)

Alright, so with the rear end being more-or-less bolt-in (I'll of course try to confirm that), I should be pretty much good to go (once I finish the Mk1.5) on this one, just need to get a price quote on the driveshaft then. Thanks! :)

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
who was it that attempted this years back in a camry *and* had one driving? i can see the car and not his name

long story short it never did well, car was total beater on the outside rust & dark blue, and he wrecked it like 5-6 weeks after he had the car barely driving around short hops.
if i remember who it was ill let ya know.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
who was it that attempted this years back in a camry *and* had one driving? i can see the car and not his name

long story short it never did well, car was total beater on the outside rust & dark blue, and he wrecked it like 5-6 weeks after he had the car barely driving around short hops.
That would be appreciated :) Might've been 2wickedtoyz, I spoke with ASG and they did quite a bit of research into it.

n00b why would you put all trac on a camry get a dodge neon bro.
Same reason I'm stuffing a 3S-GTE into the MR2... Shits & Giggles :lol:

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts

i saw this name and i thought this was a old thread. Damn you are the King of lurking!

·
Registered
2000 Camry Solara SE
274 Posts
This is something Iv been thinking of doing long before I got my gen3, as many of you know I have a 1988 Camry Alltrac with a 3sgte swap in it. I built it to show all my buddy's with STIs whats up, and it dose a great job of it. But the third gen Camry is a much better car compared to the second gen in every respect accept it was only available in front wheel drive. I always thought it would be awesome to combine in my option the best Camry that Toyota ever made(gen3 2door) with the Alltrac drive train you would have one seriously cool car thats very unique and has real performance potential if done correctly.

From the small amount of research iv done the most likely candidate for the swap would be a ST205 Celica its from the same era as the gen3 Camry(1994-1998) and most closely matches the dimensions. The first thing that has to be done is the rear floor pan, on the gen2 the 2wd and 4wd car are identical until you get to the back seat than the floor pan changes it gets higher to accommodate the rear diff,fuel tank and four link rear suspension, the trunk on my Alltrac is super tiny compared to a normal gen2 Camry. to best address this I thought you might be able to use the ST205 rear floor pan, but I don't really know the only other option might be to custom fabricate one your self. Also the celica rear suspension is 5x100 instead of 5x114 this is simple to fix, you can use Highlander hubs and rotors to convert the celica rear suspension to 5x114, the celica community has been doing it for years.

Those are just some thoughts that i had, if I ever decide to sell my gen2 Alltrac I will most likely use the money to start this project, but for now I still love my gen2 to much to sell it.

for those that have not seen it this is my Alltrac

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is something Iv been thinking of doing long before I got my gen3, as many of you know I have a 1988 Camry Alltrac with a 3sgte swap in it. I built it to show all my buddy's with STIs whats up, and it dose a great job of it. But the third gen Camry is a much better car compared to the second gen in every respect accept it was only available in front wheel drive. I always thought it would be awesome to combine in my option the best Camry that Toyota ever made(gen3 2door) with the Alltrac drive train you would have one seriously cool car thats very unique and has real performance potential if done correctly.

From the small amount of research iv done the most likely candidate for the swap would be a ST205 Celica its from the same era as the gen3 Camry(1994-1998) and most closely matches the dimensions. The first thing that has to be done is the rear floor pan, on the gen2 the 2wd and 4wd car are identical until you get to the back seat than the floor pan changes it gets higher to accommodate the rear diff,fuel tank and four link rear suspension, the trunk on my Alltrac is super tiny compared to a normal gen2 Camry. to best address this I thought you might be able to use the ST205 rear floor pan, but I don't really know the only other option might be to custom fabricate one your self. Also the celica rear suspension is 5x100 instead of 5x114 this is simple to fix, you can use Highlander hubs and rotors to convert the celica rear suspension to 5x114, the celica community has been doing it for years.

Those are just some thoughts that i had, if I ever decide to sell my gen2 Alltrac I will most likely use the money to start this project, but for now I still love my gen2 to much to sell it.

for those that have not seen it this is my Alltrac

That Gen2 looks super clean! :thumbsup:
I'm still doing my research. Contacted a local JDM importer to get a quote on a VCV15/MCV25 rear half-cut or clip. Unfortunately, they only go do their shopping trip around august, so they said to send an email, and call back end of july to be certain. :) Considering to remove fuel tank and put a fuel cell instead as far as making-space goes. The car doesn't get too many long drives/road-trips these days, so range isn't a terribly big deal for me.

·
Registered
AW11
388 Posts
bringing this one back from the dead... very nice alltrac camry! and it has the same swap that my wife's does. :)

definitely a unicorn!

despite this thread being inactive for just over 3 years, i really do hope that you still have this car. :)

also, what did you do on the suspension side?

·
Registered
2000 Camry Solara SE
274 Posts
Unfortunately I sold the car a few years back and the new owner wrecked it and last I heard it was sold at auction.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Super cool to see all of you old guys back, posting neat stuff!

I came along in 2010, when some of you guys were still talking a bit more about modding for very rare and interesting outcomes. You inspired me to go out on a limb, and try out this new boosting system, with a VERY BIG hairdryer motor on my Gen3.:wink:

Gothmog3VZ, we need to see an alltrac Gen3 Camry, if you can figure it out, I'd love to see it running on the forum! This was one of the "must do, gotta see", things I remember from 6 years ago.:smile:

Makes me feel a little humble about putting a Phantom Supercharger on my Solara, 1MZ-FE, 5spd. (pretty minor undertaking), and sad that I'm finally selling my Gen3, 3VZ.

I'll be following this as it plays out.:grin:

·
Registered
1995 XLE
2,591 Posts
Hey Guys, I never meant to shut this thread down! I know for example, that 71Corolla has followed this idea for many years, and must have at least a few words to offer. Don't all of you go away after one post from me.:frown:
SR, You didn't shut it down, the first post was from 2012. This is an old thread and most of those knowledgeable members have moved on to other projects. Some are on the TN OG Facebook page.
W95c

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Well, this is definitely NOT a bolt on for anything other than the engine block.

Let's briefly discuss the high points of swapping the ST205 (celica GT4) drivetrain into a FWD celica ST202, and keep in mind that swapping this into a Camry XV20 platform will be even more complicated:
-Engine and transaxle pretty much bolt in - Camry will require customized rear mount, and possibly a custom pasenger CV axle due to wider track
-Driveshaft will work fine - will require custom/customized driveshaft due to different wheelbase. Maybe look into whether Gen2 Alltrac driveshaft is better fit, though I doubt it will just bolt in
-Mounts for the driveshaft can be welded on - Camry will require custom stuff
-Rear floorplan is totally different, need either weld in GT4 one or make custom subframe and go with fuel cell for gas tank (different) - Camry will be all custom back here
-Rear CV axles work for Celica, Camry will require custom stuff. Again, MAYBE would be able to utilized some Gen2 Camry Alltrac parts or Rav4 parts, but you need to do your own research here as to what CV axles/rear diff will be least work
-Rear control arms need some customizing to correct the position of the rear wheels on celi, iirc, and of course unchartered territory for Camry
-On celica, you can use rear ST205 hubs and strut assemblies. On Camry, I'm not sure if ST205 struts will bolt in, so need research here as well.
-Of course there's then a whole bunch of wiring, brake proportioning, pipe and tube plumbing to sort out.

Again, this is just a taste of the differences. The swap is hard enough for a Celica that only a handful of people have done it. You need to be a fairly skilled fabricator or have deep pockets to do this on a Camry. Not saying it's impossible, but the amount of custom work can make you think twice if you are not prepared to spend a few hundred hours yourself.

Hope this sheds some light on this wet dream of many here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.