Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post, have a major question...is there anyone that would know where i could get my hands on an all-track tranny? i found a beat up old all-track and i know how uncommin they are and i contacted the owner, turned out to be a kid i went to school with, and he said if you want it it yours, but it needs a new tranny. It apperently has a "4wd" switch in it. if its extremely hard to find a transmission for it is there anyform of built-up transmission that would bolt in? I just need to replace the whole tranny, halfshafts, drive shaft is ok, and while i'm at it a clutch. any info is well appritiated.
thanx
-myk_

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
youll have to be a little more specific than i need an All-trac tranny

Camry All-trac?
Celica All-trac?
Corolla All-trac?
Hell there's even an all-trac Previa!

Either way, you might just have to have that one rebuilt. Rare transmissions usually have to be rebuilt, instead of replaced.

If its old and beat up, you'll want to check the condition of the engine too...dont know what fun stuff youll find in there, expecially if the tranny is bad, who knows whats gonna be wrong with the engine.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Wasn't there even an All-trac Tercel wagon back in the early-mid 80's? I wish they still made Camry All-tracs.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
If it's a Celica GT4/All Trac then the word transmission spells BIG buck$$$.

They are NOT CHEAP and NOT EASY to replace/repair

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the camry all-track coupe. non turbo, but i think they all the camry's were. still crossing my fingers.
-myk_

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
what the hell is a camry all-trac coupe?

the coupe didnt come out till gen3 and the all-trac camry was in gen2, so there was no all-trac camry coupe.

which of these are you getting?

1989 Camry All-trac

1993 Celica All-trac

ST165 1988 Celica All-trac

1994 Camry Coupe

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
but he said its non-turbo....im confused. the only coupes made with awd, had a turbo...:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
it is the 89 camry all-track, not a coupe. sorry for the confusion. i am pretty sure its n.a but i am not a 100% sure. maybe it is forced fed, i dont know. camry all track, any way to get a transmision, and half shaft's?
i havent seen the car in a year, but i do remember offering the guy to buy it off him when it was still in driving condition. i dont remember how, but he through a half shaft through the casing in the transmission. there is a possability that the internals are still in working condition, i dont know that for a fact. i know that it doesnt drive due to the mess up. if worse comes to worst, i can always have a machine shop rebuild it, if i get a factory case from the dealership couldnt i?

to get a better idea i am going to go look at it after school, and i will try and get a camera to go with and get pics all around.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
yea its a 2.0 liter NA 3sfe under the hood.

chances of you finding a tranny for that thing are probably slim. But i imagine that a good transmission shop could rebuild it. If you can get the transmission out, and put it back in, you can save yourself a good bit of money on getting it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i didnt get to look at it, cuase my freind with the directions bailed on me. i will try and get up there sometime this weekend, i should be able to get it in and out myself(with the aid of a freind or two for actaully dropping the tranny out with the jack).
well thanks stevethecleric for the info, i will be back on this site when i get pics of the car in the next month. wish me luck!!
-myk_

1 - 12 of 12 Posts