Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
straight cash homie
21,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://detnews.com/article/20101005/AUTO01/10050320/1148/
Allstate sues Toyota in gas pedal cases

Insurer seeks more than $3M for clients involved in collisions caused by defects

CHRISTINE TIERNEY
The Detroit News

Allstate Insurance Co. has sued Toyota Motor Corp., alleging that some of the insurer’s customers were involved in collisions resulting from faulty gas pedals and other defects in Toyota vehicles.

Allstate said Monday it was seeking more than $3 million in a suit that underscores Toyota’s challenge to move beyond quality and safety problems that emerged last year and led to the recall of millions of vehicles.

Toyota rejected the allegations. “While we have not seen the complaint, based on reports we believe the unfounded allegations in this suit have no basis,” Toyota Motor Sales USA. said in a statement.

Earlier Monday, the automaker briefed reporters on its progress establishing tighter quality controls and fixing about 3.7 million recalled vehicles. Bloomberg News reported the lawsuit later in the day.

“Allstate believes some of our customers were involved in collisions as a result of faulty accelerator pedals and other vehicle defects on Toyota vehicles and that Toyota should be held accountable for the financial impact of these accidents,” said Christina Loznicka, a spokeswoman for the Northbrook, Ill., insurer.

“Allstate, like other insurers, has filed a subrogation lawsuit against Toyota in the state of California,” she said. In subrogation suits, insurers try to recoup claims from manufacturers on the grounds that the products are defective.

The suit cited data from Safety Research & Strategies Inc. of Rehoboth, Mass., a safety advocacy firm that works with plaintiffs’ lawyers.

Safety Research President Sean Kane had not read the suit. But he said such suits by insurers against carmakers were unusual, suggesting a possible breakdown in negotiations.In its complaint in California state court, Allstate alleged that sudden acceleration accounted for at least 725 accidents with 304 injuries and 18 fatalities, citing Safety Research and Strategies data.

Toyota has recalled more than 9 million vehicles worldwide since last fall, most of them in the United States, mostly to address problems that could lead to unintended acceleration.

The company said Monday that its U.S. dealers have provided fixes to around 3.7 million vehicles, which were recalled to repair pedals that could stick, update braking software and prevent a risk of pedal entrapment that could cause cars to accelerate.

The automaker plans to expand the scope of rapid-response “Smart” teams formed to investigate complaints of unintended acceleration of Toyota vehicles to look into other problems as they come up. Since April, complaints of unintended acceleration of Toyota vehicles have dropped sharply to fewer than 150 calls a week to a customer hotline from around 800, Toyota said.

In all its repairs and investigations to date, Toyota executives reiterated that the company found no instances of unintended acceleration resulting from problems with the electronic throttle control system.

“Our goal is to set new, even higher standards for quality assurance and customer responsiveness in both the factory and the market,” said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota’s chief quality officer for North America.

The Smart teams are drawn from more than 200 engineers and field technicians.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Stay classy, Allstate.

·
A Toyota's a Toyota
407 Posts
I don't care about the lawsuit as I feel everyone sues for everything, but I wonder if allstate will then give back to the customers... maybe lower the rates of the insured since they (Allstate) would not have actually paid out any money. So they should give back to the people.

Oh wait, a business actually help the customer...ha ha...forgot this was America.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Allstate will lose on this one. I highly doubt that they do much if anything to prove UA in cars involved in accidents. Most companies simply send out an adjuster, assess the damage, pay the bill. I doubt they have engineering teams.

This sounds like Allstate was looking for a free bit of advertising in the media.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
"Are you in good hands?"

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
If there is not an issue with the DBW & the gas pedal sticking was really the pedal returning slowly from a depressed state which was only on a very small % of cars, & the floor mat issue has never been an issue IF the correct floor mats were used & attached like they are designed than what is to sue over? :headbang: If an owner stacks floor mats than any car could get them stuck under a gas pedal. :facepalm: Any lawyer should be able to get this dismissed as the proof just isn't there. :ugh3:

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
It's just Allstate looking for free advertising. I can only hope that they underwrite something big that suddenly burns down.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
That's like most insurance companies. Reem you up the butt in premiums but refuse to let you see any benefit of it. They don't want to give a dime or make new rules and loops to not get any benefit. Heaven forbid an insurance take responsibility and pay for itself.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,731 Posts
If this is Allstate's intention of getting reimbursed....I'm ashamed to be one of their customers. :facepalm: But I do love the new Mayhem commercials. LOL

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
^ those commericals are epic, but nothing beats the Geico ones. State Farm also is suing Toyota and that's from a few months back. I really, really doubt these cases will get anywhere. AAA hasn't done any suing, nor has Geico.

·
straight cash homie
21,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ those commericals are epic, but nothing beats the Geico ones. State Farm also is suing Toyota and that's from a few months back. I really, really doubt these cases will get anywhere. AAA hasn't done any suing, nor has Geico.
When will Flo join in on the litigation? :D

·
Old Fart
09 rolla
729 Posts
This is great since it was Allstate that was named as a primary in the Katrina law suits. They were dropping policies left and right instead of honoring claims. Which is one of the main reasons I dropped them like a hot rock. I hope that they lose and lose big so that they have a nice big fat bill to pay the end of this ridiculous lawsuit.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
This is great since it was Allstate that was named as a primary in the Katrina law suits. They were dropping policies left and right instead of honoring claims. Which is one of the main reasons I dropped them like a hot rock. I hope that they lose and lose big so that they have a nice big fat bill to pay the end of this ridiculous lawsuit.

That is classic! :thumbsup:

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
+ 1 for the insurance commercials.
Flo is one of my favorites, but Mayhem is a close second. Funny commercials!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts