Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys

I found a Alltrac celica in the savage yard in reasonable condition, its got 200k on the engine, needs new brakes, exhaust, and minor engine work. The thing isnt that bad(Ive seen worse), however a lot of rust is found underneath the car but not much on the sides or should say visble rust. So my question is should I buy it?? Got a good deal on it, or is it too much work/expensive just for the body alone? How about the awd drive system? Do they break over time are they hard to replace/expensive?

let me know ur inputs..

im in the need for a project car! lol

Oh they owners got it to work and its drivable believe it or not!

·
Registered
446 Posts
If it was in my area, I'd buy it. Assuming its gonna be one cheap alltrac.

My friend bought an st165 for $300. I hate him now. Hes been restoring the car little by little. And with each step in its restoration process, hes loving it more and more. I was really hoping he wouldn't buy too. Cause I would've.

·
Nuckin Futs
72 Posts
I dunno man. You said there's alot of rust underneath. That means there WILL be holes which need patching,or you'll even need to replace the entire floorpan.

On my '87 GTS,when I was repainting it,I pulled off the side skirts to find I had no driver side rocker panel underneath,and then I pulled the carpet back and in the driver side foot well,I had a huge gaping hole and the sound deadening was literally holding my floor together.

However,I say buy the car,part what you can from it,take out the motor,driveline,tranny,brakes and suspension and then go out and buy a decent GTS for like a grand and swap everything into it.

Otherwise,I'll buy the motor from you for $500,seeing how it has 200k on it. Out of curiosity,where is the car located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess it depends on how bad the underbody condition is, if the rust is everywhere and there are holes, I suggest not to buy it unless you can fix all that yourself. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well

The car is in good condition especially the interior I was surprise how clean it was and all the electronics work..no rust on the sunroof either...but then I looked under that car and hell broke losee very rusted the muffler is chewed in half of rust...
So considering that I buy this will it be expensive to replace the the whole floor plan? or is it cheaper to buy a GT and swap everythign in it just like someone here said..

oh btw..im not telling ne one wheere i found it!! lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think if you can get rid of those rusted underbody parts at a reasonable price, it will be well worth it. However the definition of reasonable price differs, so you will have to figure that out.
What model is this?
If it's ST165(88-89) I would say you get a good deal if the final price(including the floorplan) is under $2000, and $4000 for ST185(90-93).

·
Registered
13 Posts
PsychoCelica said:

However,I say buy the car,part what you can from it,take out the motor,driveline,tranny,brakes and suspension and then go out and buy a decent GTS for like a grand and swap everything into it
No, The Alltrac's floorpan, rear frame, and trunk floor are all different. There is no way, short of some serious cutting and welding, to convert a GT/GTS in to a alltrac.

Now if we are talking about a ST165, the major areas for rust are the rockers and lower quarter panels. Use your best judgement on the rust. It can be fixed, but it might cost you some $. The alltrac can be a reliable car, just remember that it is getting old and will need some attention now and then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Opps..didnt I mention the model? sorry forgot guys.. Its 1989 ST165 white alltrac and yes the floorplan is all rusted..i'm getting it for $500 CAD...

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
i say buy it, spend the winter fixing it up... then show it off come next summer.. i bought my all-trac for $900CAN, had to rebuild the motor and etc, the car had some rust on the floorplan, but one night, my dad and his friend and a 24 case of canadian, next morning rust was gone :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
TurboPower said:
Opps..didnt I mention the model? sorry forgot guys.. Its 1989 ST165 white alltrac and yes the floorplan is all rusted..i'm getting it for $500 CAD...
Sh*T, for C$500?! Buy it already!!!!!!:hammer:

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
don't buy it, high mileage turbo engine = shit, plus you got a shitty rusted frame, you should save your money and buy something decent, that you could actually work on

i know its harsh, but it needs to be said

so you say 500$ for the car... you should have a bank loan for 5-10k its gonna cost you an arm and a leg to get this thing in decent running condition, it was probably scrapped for a reason

·
Registered
421 Posts
Check it over carefully and chisel them down some more on the price. A running AllTrac for C$500 is still ok. Depends on your resources. Also, when you say 200K, do you mean 200,000 miles or kilometers? I see you're in Canada, so it makes a difference.

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
$500

makes a great donor car even if you dont make it road worthy...!

i spent £150 on nuts and bolts that were missing in the engine bay and it want that many i hasten to add! when i did my clutch job

i'd buy it

if its a bag on nails u have enought stuff to donor or even sell to maintain the one u buy and keep !

Stu!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts