Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rocket Scientist
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'lo folks!

I'm working on returning to the Tacoma fold yet again. I had a 1998 Tacoma 4 banger, traded it in for a Honda Accord in 2004, and after 5 years of that I'm ready to get back to the Tacoma.

So starts my journey...

After some reading, browsing online inventories, e-mailing with dealerships, I found a Tacoma that would work for me. A V6 6-Speed manual transmission access cab with an SR5 package and some extra goodies. I actually had 3 different dealerships give me quotes on the exact same vehicle because it's apparently the only one available in a 5 state region (TX is where I'm at). I finally strike up a deal with one dealership, and then today they call to tell me that when they were trying to get the vehicle, the dealership that has it on their lot already sold it and was waiting for the buyer to come pick it up.

So now I'm out of a truck. I really want a manual because I'm completely bored of driving an automatic.

The dealership mentioned that they can attempt to put in a "preference request" with the build factory and we get a list of options I'd like. What I'm going with is the V6 manual transmission access cab with a TRD sport package (and a couple other little things). The dealership tells me the factory accepted the "preference request" but that they were forced to addon the Towing package because if they add TRD Sport they have to add the towing package based on what the factory will manufacture.

So... I have a couple questions to close up this (way to long) manifesto of sorts:

First, should I be surprised that they were required to add on the towing package? From what I've read it seems like I shouldn't be surprised and it's just one of the somewhat canned configurations the factory will manufacture the truck in.

Second, has anyone had actual luck with a "special order" from a dealership through the factory? Anyone with estimates on how long it took their "special order" to be delivered? My dealership said they couldn't give me an exact timeframe on when to expect the vehicle (could be 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks?) but that it was a good sign that the factory accepted the "preference request".

I apologize if things like this have been posted all over, or even if I'm in the wrong category.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

-Kopland

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
You will not regret the tow package, it basically give you a larger alternator, a transmission cooler, and the receiver...all of which are a plus. Many that don't buy with the tow package end up wanting the larger alternator and the transmission cooler, and the receiver is just nice to have incase you need to help someone out. I personally don't own a trailer, but I have towed several buddies trailers on multiple occassions.

As far as the special order, I can't comment. I got lucky and snagged mine with every option I wanted plus few extras right of the dealerships lot.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
the exact truck i wanted wasn't available in the area. but one of the dealers found it ~250 miles away and they made the trade for it. it didnt take long at all, just a few days. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
my truck was special order,

Black Sand Pearl Sport 4x4 is almost impossible to find here in AZ

took 6-8 weeks and you get it exactly how you want it :thumbsup:

·
meteor proof
520 Posts
hey Kopland, i just responded to your PM. didnt see this thread until after.

i was told 4 to 6 weeks for mine to arrive. since you & i both live in houston, the estimated delivery time will probably be the same. i ordered mine 10 days ago. the truck i ordered seems to be VERY rare. i have seen only 2 like it ever, neither of which were 4x4. one of which was actually at the dealer when i bought mine, but i wanted my 4x4 lol.

as far as the tow package goes, i think you will be happier that you did get it. i was told it was part of the TRD packages, but i guess its included on the SR5 as well. i wanted it regardless because of the transmission cooler.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
My 08 Access Cab Sport was "special ordered." I had to wait 6 months to get it too. I'm the only one for several states that has the color and options that my truck has. :D

·
TN User
06 Tacoma DBL Cab LB
265 Posts
Mine was special order. It took 3 months from factory accepting the options to having the keys in my hand. Another thing that your dealer may do is look for one that is on schedule for delivery for your region if your option combination is not too rare. You may get it sooner.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
1) Pretty sure the tow package for MTs still does not include a transmission cooler.
2) My understanding of ordering "custom" is that is usually waiting for Toyota to finish its batch of the configuration you want (or something close to it). So, order times may vary depending on what order configuration may be coming off the line. Some flexibility is probably a good thing if you are fine getting your "must haves" and maybe a few other "nice to haves" since it may get you a truck faster.
3) It wasn't brought up...but you have in hand what you feel is the best negotiated price on the truck you want. Use it in your favor. Add or subtract additional options/accessories at the invoice price. A dealer will tell you they can give you a better deal on a truck that's already on the lot. I say BS. The lowest cost truck for the dealer is the one that they take off the truck, remove plastic, wash once and give you the keys (e.g., ordered). The dealer will tell you that they can give you truck on their lot for less since they need to get rid of it. In fact, they've paid more for that truck than something they only have 1-2 days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My truck was a special order and came in within 4 weeks I believe. As for the towing package even when you do a special order their is always a compromise, but you will not be disappointed with the tow package.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts