Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here I am again thinking of spending way too much money to change things up a little bit in my stereo. I currently have two Alpine type s 10 inch subs getting about 175w a piece in custom boxes. It will thump if you turn it up a lot, but with the big old seat cushions in the Camry a lot of it is absorbed.

So I was thinking of upgrading. I am not a bass head anymore but occasionally I like to have some serious thump. I was thinking of going with a single 12inch Type X or R with an pdx m12 amp along with the rux bass control knob to tone it down most of the time. This will put my system right on the edge of what my stock alternator will handle and over when I crank it. I think with the Amp controller to turn it down I will be just fine most of the time.

My question to my fellow TN denziens is, does anyone have any first hand experience with both of these subs? Preferably the newer type X sub as it has recently been updated. Please share your thoughts.

I plan on making another sealed box to Alpine specs. I tend to like the tighter sound. I like the boom too but I think overall sealed is for me. I understand that the R is louder and makes more bass especially in a ported box. I want clean accurate bass and that is what the X is supposed to do. I am sure it will be plenty loud if I turn up that 1200 rms amp a little:D

As you can tell I have all but made up my mind. My question arises after I went to the local shop and they dogged the heck out of the type X sub. This is why I would like a second opinion. I know that if a sub isn't in the correct spec box it won't sound good at all. Different vehicles will also have a huge effect also. I just have to believe that has to be what is going on. I have had Orion and Jl audio and Rockford subs in the past but for this system I want to keep it all Alpine although any thoughts or ideas are appriciated:)

Edit: I should also mention I do have some stuff for sale I have a Pioneer 3300bt [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3300BT-5-8-Inch-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B004HW6F7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340386774&sr=8-1&keywords=3300bt[/ame]
Along with a Rocford 10 inch sub in a ported enclosure. I bought it as one unit so the box is just right and tuned for the sub, sounds good. I also have two type s 10 inch Alpine but wont be selling those just yet. $250 for the deck, $75 for the sub and box or $300 for both plus shipping.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Corolla
15 Posts
Alpine

I'm a big fan of Alpine, and I've heard the Type X compared to the older models of Type R's. Since Alpine has updated their sub lineup I'd say that the Type R's are going to give you what you want and save some money at the same time. I found that putting a Type R in a ported box tuned to around 32Hz gave me what I wanted. Sealed just didn't do it for me. Side by side you won't notice much difference between the new Type R's and the Type X. Although the Type X looks pretty sweet, save some money and go with the Type R.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-12D4-Type-R-Subwoofer-4-ohm/dp/B007XW2WTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340375247&sr=8-1&keywords=Alpine+SWR-12D4[/ame]

$155 a piece for the new type R

Wire a single sub down to 2 ohms, keep the gains down because you don't want to trash either sub.

·
Registered
09 Avi Limited
454 Posts
Honestly I don't think you would go wrong with either. When the Type R 8" came out it was wowing a lot of people in the diymobileaudio.com forum for not only its SQ but the little sub can get loud as well. The rest of the Type R lineup has now been upgraded to the new format. But really from the Alpine reps all I have been reading is hype and news of their lower end products not much on their higher end (Type X). I wouldn't discount their new Type S subs either as they are supposed to be similar to the Type Rs except the Type Rs outshine in overall output(which is to be expected). All in all I think best is to listen to each sub and see what you like, and I don't think you would go wrong with any of the subs.

·
Registered
09 Avi Limited
454 Posts
Honestly if I had the $ and space for it I'd definitely go for the IDMax. Some great SQ that can get loud. Currently I have an Image Dynamics IDQ12v2 and I love it, definitely an awesome SQ sub. From my experience its nicer to have an SQ than an SPL oriented sub. Before I had my IDQ in I was using a Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 and while it was good, didn't compare to the IDQ as I noticed there were parts in songs where the Rockford would just play one note where the IDQ would actually have two different notes on the same part of the song that the Rockford wasn't able to catch. If you are interested in Image Dynamics I would suggest checking the IDQ or even the ID series subs, as the IDs have been called a baby IDMax due to the similar SQ only lacking in the overall output and authority of the IDMax.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I totally agree with getting ID sub. If you have the power then get the IDMax. They work great in any enclosure including infinite baffle,(what im currently building). I don't know why everyone on this site seems to love alpine. Maybe it's a Toyota thing. They are good for the price, but a little boomy for my taste. I had one type r 12, in a sealed box, and i always thought it was lacking in punch.
Everyone's taste is different though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It wasn't sloppy by any means. And I built the box as per alpines dimensions. I just thought it was too bosomy.

As I say, maybe my tastes are different.

IB is basically building a panel for your subs to mount on and then mounting it behind your seat. And that's it.....kinda.
So basically your trunk becomes the enclosure. There benefits and disadvantages to this design. The biggest being, all you trunk space is still usable. And the subs will play right down to and below 20hz. They are more designed for a sound quality type install.
The downfalls, not as loud or controlled as a box. And you have to seal the trunk completely from the front cabin. No speakers or holes in the parcel tray for example. Also only certain subs are suited to this setup. Ones designed for very large enclosures. Which today is getting harder to find as most manufacturers try and build subs designed for small boxes.

·
Registered
09 Avi Limited
454 Posts
It wasn't sloppy by any means. And I built the box as per alpines dimensions. I just thought it was too bosomy.

As I say, maybe my tastes are different.

IB is basically building a panel for your subs to mount on and then mounting it behind your seat. And that's it.....kinda.
So basically your trunk becomes the enclosure. There benefits and disadvantages to this design. The biggest being, all you trunk space is still usable. And the subs will play right down to and below 20hz. They are more designed for a sound quality type install.
The downfalls, not as loud or controlled as a box. And you have to seal the trunk completely from the front cabin. No speakers or holes in the parcel tray for example. Also only certain subs are suited to this setup. Ones designed for very large enclosures. Which today is getting harder to find as most manufacturers try and build subs designed for small boxes.
FWIW the new Alpines are changed compared to the older models to have more of an SQL quality to it, and of all "mainstream" brands Alpine would be on the top of my list for another sub now. And doesn't have to be a sub that wants a big box, my IDQ works well in small boxes as well as in IB setups, one of the reasons I got it was for the possibility of IB down the line, if only the price of them hadn't gone up in the last year since I bought mine I'd already have another one bought. Makes it hard paying $150 for a used sub when I paid $65 shipped to me a year ago for one. But please do make a build thread when its all said and done I can't wait to see how your car turns out.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Honestly if I had the $ and space for it I'd definitely go for the IDMax. Some great SQ that can get loud. Currently I have an Image Dynamics IDQ12v2 and I love it, definitely an awesome SQ sub. From my experience its nicer to have an SQ than an SPL oriented sub. Before I had my IDQ in I was using a Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 and while it was good, didn't compare to the IDQ as I noticed there were parts in songs where the Rockford would just play one note where the IDQ would actually have two different notes on the same part of the song that the Rockford wasn't able to catch. If you are interested in Image Dynamics I would suggest checking the IDQ or even the ID series subs, as the IDs have been called a baby IDMax due to the similar SQ only lacking in the overall output and authority of the IDMax.
I wanted to suggest either Arc Audio Arc series sub, ID, or IDQ, but those cannot handle 1kW RMS. Arc series subs are basically IDQ with more excursion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.