Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official TN User
96 Taco 4x4 Ext cab
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alternatives to bushwacker and custom made bumpers

Does anyone know of a good alternative to bushwacker fender flares they were almost $400 when I checked them out. Also, every where I check, people tell me Westin discontinued the production of safari/bull/push bars for the pre 98 tacos, any thoughts or other brands to consider?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't believe how much they charge for the fender flares. I had to put my purchase on hold for a little bit.
As for the Westin Safari Bars......I bought one from a private seller on Craigslist. I was told by the local Westin dealer that they only make 3 different part numbers for the bars and they have all sorts of part numbers for the mounting hardware. I have a 97 so I'm having to modify the mounting hardware just a bit becuase they only go back to 98.

·
Official TN User
96 Taco 4x4 Ext cab
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just drew up plans today to custom make my bumper, its pretty sweet. I'm going with three inch steel tubining for the bar, and two inch tubing for the brushguard, chrome diamond plate for the skid plate, and chrome bars/wires for inside the brushguard, and black powder coat on the tubing (or possibly rhino line??). What do you think? PS I have the LT model.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
That will work, especially if you have the skills. probably alot better biult as well. what is the cost you are looking at?

Lance

·
Official TN User
96 Taco 4x4 Ext cab
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haven't really priced it out yet, but I have friends with a lot of tubing and a good piece of diamond plate. So it could be free. or really cheap at least. Me and a buddy will do all the fab work so basically it will cost us a couple weekends of our time. Plus cost of powder coating.

·
Official TN User
96 Taco 4x4 Ext cab
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Lance,

The only problem was I didnt see any applications for the 95-00 Tacos. I guess I thought the street flares were a little small, butr seeing as I don't have an oversized tire package these would be much more affordable than OE or Extend-a-flares.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Xenon Fender flares

Personally I think Xenon Flares have the best look and seem to be the largest flare I have seen available. They aren't all that cheap either though, but you can get them on ebay for just over $300 sometimes less, a set sold for $280 last week. One thing I dont understand about them, is that they are for 95-97 Tacoma. What changed after 97? I have a 2000 and I wonder how hard it would be to get them to fit. Maybe the holes are just in a different place? Or was the Tacoma body actually changed after 97? I have seen pics of newer Tacomas on other forums with the Xenon flares but the user never answered my question about how it was to fit them.
PS: Another alternative is "my flares" I sell flares for 89-95 Toy Truck and 90-95 4runner on ebay starting at $135 and they are pretty darn nice, seller blakegeee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts