Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently installed an alternator for an '03 2.4L Camry into my '04 2.4L Camry. To do this i had to change the connector, as the pins are exactly the same for the two model years, but a differently shaped connector. First time I wired it I done goofed and got the left and right pins mixed up. I wired the sense (S) wire to lamp (L) and vice versa. Ignition (IG) was wired correctly as it was in the center. After driving the car for a day I realized I did it incorrectly upon finding a better diagram and changed it.

My car starts, runs, and drives but it seems my battery is not charging. I am worried I might have done some damage to the ECM as I sent 5 amps to it with the lamp wire from the looks of it. My battery light is also on but it is dim for some reason.

I'm wondering if I'm at the point of no return and it's time to get a replacement ECM and get it flashed or if there is some other troubleshooting I can do. I have already tested all the fuses with a tester probe and removed the ECM to see if anything got fried, it seems fine but there are some slightly browned areas, as you can see in the pics. But maybe those were there already?

Anyway, I would appreciate some input for my dumb ass on how to proceed with the pickle I have gotten myself in. I have been meaning to make an account as I frequent this site and never thought my first post would be like this.

Cheers,

04 Slamry

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, I did get a new battery and it did not solve the problem.

For anyone wondering why I cut my harness and did this splicing business in the first place, it was because I ordered a high output alternator (250A) for my car as I plan to add a soundsystem and maybe upgrade the headlights in the future. The seller sent me the one for the 03 Camry even though I ordered the correct one, tried to shift the blame on me, and long story short I got the alternator for free as ebay refunded me. Figured it would be simpler just to splice the 03 connector on rather than selling it locally and sourcing another one.

Maybe the aftermarket alternator has something to do with it? The dim battery light is what's making me suspect there is something foul with the ECM going on...

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,672 Posts
Check the alternator output across the posts at 2000 RPM. Should be 14/14/8 volts.Check for a blown fuse. Alternators need to be externally excited(battery) to produce voltage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts