Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Camry 4cyl. 175k miles

My batter was over 5 years old. It went dead recently and I changed it with a costco interstate battery 24f. After 2 months, I found the battery dead again. My neighbor has the walmart brand everstart max battery charger (which also tests alternator, reconditions battery etc).

I tried to charge the battery with that, after about 2.5 hours it showed ~40% charge. Does it take much longer to charge a dead battery? I am trying to see if a new Costco batter may be bad.

And my alternator is original, but I figure I first need to get the new battery charged separately before testing the alternator right?

Thanks

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,890 Posts
You could always do both... Otherwise depending on how old the battery is it could take a weekend on a trickle charge to charge the battery. Mind you that is with the Snap-On Charger and not a small one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
how can test the alternator without a fully charged battery?
Rev it to 2500, measure voltage at terminals with all accessories on(radio, heater on high, lights on, most important rear window defrost on). Your looking for 13.1v and above. anything below that(13.0, 12.9) replace your alternator.

Cheers from Canada

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
Most likely either one but usually even a fully dead battery charges faster than that at least it does with my vintage battery charger

·
Registered
388 Posts
Most likely either one but usually even a fully dead battery charges faster than that at least it does with my vintage battery charger
Indeed, but it depends on the charging rate. I have an old Schumacher charger that can do 2A trickle, 10A standard, as well as a "jump start" setting. I also have a Black & Decker that only does a trickle charge, and that could be what's being used here. More data is required.

Reactions: AutoMechanic

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after ~4 hours on the charger (it pumping ~15 amps), the costco battery said fully charged. I'll put it back on and test the alternator. Or drive by the store and have them do the load test.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
So after ~4 hours on the charger (it pumping ~15 amps), the costco battery said fully charged. I'll put it back on and test the alternator. Or drive by the store and have them do the load test.
You could do either one at the auto parts store they have a machine that only does that so it’s not a battery charger so it is up to you if you are able to do it then you should that way don’t risk it dying in traffic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts