Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time on here.

03 Prerunner Tacoma 2.7 liter 4 banger....86K miles. Battery light recently came on, and off, and on and off...etc. Went to Advanced Auto got it tested, battery was putting out around 380 so I replaced it. Guy testing my truck said alternator was putting out either 15 or 17, is this too high?? reason i ask is my battery light still comes on, it flickers, almost like a short. The grounds are good and solid.....afraid alternator may be failing and will fry my new battery. Belt also squeals at a consistent speed and w/ a steady push of the pedal. Any help is appreciated!!

Frank

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
The flickering usually indicates bad brushes.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I think you're somehow confusing the brushes in the alternator with bushings in shock absorbers. The subject is alternators afterall.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would fix the sqealing belt problem first. If the belt is loose and slipping, or the bearings are shot, you'll get the same sympton.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had that happen on my old 99 toyota truck . i took out the alternator and had it tested . it was the brushes . the shop that tested it put new brushes in for me . 20$ and my own labour to put my alternator in and i was back on the road again . whatever u do dont let anyone talk u into a new or a rebuilt alternator . p.s. im new to this forum but im not new to repairing my own vehicles . good look

1 - 8 of 8 Posts