Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been doing some research online and I found that alternator replacements cost around $400-$500 at an auto shop. The pricing already includes the alternator replacement itself and the labor.

for those of you who went to a shop to get an alternator fixed, i was wondering if the pricing is true to it's word?

I was referred to an independent mechanic by my friend and he said that i would have to pay him $350 to replace the alternator.. that's NOT including the alternator itself. i already spent $300 on buying the replacement alternator online. so all in all, i'd have to spend $650. i feel like i'm being hustled.

please help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Those alternators are a major PITA....if you have to pay to get it done it’s going to be expensive.

Also, by purchasing the part yourself you take away their ability to make a few bucks on the part. You’re going to get poor pricing no matter where you go because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Avalon, 2002 (2), 2003 (2) Camry
341 Posts
What year and engine Camry do you have? On the early 2.4L models the alternator is right up on top and not too difficult to get out. The belt tensioner is the biggest pain but even that shouldn't take an experience mechanic long.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,898 Posts
Should be able to purchase a "remanufactured" alternator from sparkplugs.com for less than $200. Stay away from lost parts stores units. They have a long history on the forum for early failure. Regards

·
Registered
437 Posts
My alternator died in my 11 Camery v6 and it was a PITA to replace so I had the car towed to AAA and they charged $500 for the part and another 5 hours labor because on the the v6 camery's they basically have to tear the front end apart to get to it.

If was was going to pay that much to replace an alternator I would have bought an exotic like a twin turbo beamer or a benz....

But what can you do when you are traveling and don't have your garage full of tools and a weekend to take the car apart for such a stupid item to replace.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,898 Posts
My alternator died in my 11 Camery v6 and it was a PITA to replace so I had the car towed to AAA and they charged $500 for the part and another 5 hours labor because on the the v6 camery's they basically have to tear the front end apart to get to it.

If was was going to pay that much to replace an alternator I would have bought an exotic like a twin turbo beamer or a benz....

But what can you do when you are traveling and don't have your garage full of tools and a weekend to take the car apart for such a stupid item to replace.
Not much.They have basically got you by your huevos

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have replaced the Alternator in my 06 Camry XLE twice. Both times it only took me about 3 hours total. Fortunately, the second time was free replacement under warranty but still had to do the labor. It really not a hard job, there just a few things to get out of the way. If you remove the passenger side wheel well covers it help a lot to get it out of there.

The alternator should have cost you at most $200. Autozone has its brand with a lifetime warranty. Online at Rock Auto most are 24 months for under $170. So the AZ is listed at #11033 for $203 Lifetime Warranty, Rockauto is BBB brand N110033 is $169 36 month warranty. So your only paying $30 more dollars to be able to walk into any of their stores and get a replacement quickly. No brainer to me!!

Sunflower where are you located at. Maybe I can help you out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts