Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Camry DX'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My sound system seems to be losing power every day....also the windows are rolling up slower. I have been told that this may be my alternator going out. So that means I'll have to replace it. Any suggestions as to what kind of alternator to replace it with that will be able to handle the load of a sound system and various other electricals such as neons and reverse glow guages? also, ive heard that if an alternator is put on and it is too powerful, it can fry the computer in the car. is this true or was the person who told me this stupid? as always, any information will be very much appreciated.

·
97 BlackWidowed
camry
626 Posts
yeah... if you are sucking all that power out of it, you are killing it slowly, one day the car will just shut off, stinger makes a nice HIGH power one... you can charge to batts at once... contact them they will hook u up.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
I suggest a higher amperage alternator, although only replace that if it's your only option, it will be expensive.

For now, just make sure your battery is charged and buy atleast a one farad capacitor.. that'll help the dimming the most.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Edit: And btw, if the alternator is too "powerful", it will not fry the ecu (computer). All the alternator does is charge the battery, it does not send out power directly.

·
Registered
90 Camry DX'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i think it will end up being my only choice cause like i said earlier, it seems to b gettin weaker every day. i have noticed a big difference in the last week. how much money do u think a good alt. will cost me? well thanks for the info.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Instead of buying a new one, just have yours rebuilt or rebuild it yourself, it is not complicated, nearly as good as a new one but MUCH less expensive (don't forget you have a Toyota !!!)

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
mralternator.com will hook you up with a high power one

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
troy said:

Edit: And btw, if the alternator is too "powerful", it will not fry the ecu (computer). All the alternator does is charge the battery, it does not send out power directly.
Please! your battery is dead, how much power are you running? need to know your current requirements before you decide to buy a HO Alt.

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
troy said:
Edit: All the alternator does is charge the battery, it does not send out power directly.
Wow...where did you get this information from? The alternator feeds current to the battery, and current isn't considered part of power?

I agree with eddiem67, before getting a HO alternator, make sure what your power requirements are. If you do feed too much current to the electrical system, there's the potential of electrical problems that could damage the ECU. If you check, most HO alternator manufacturers have a disclaimer indicating they will NOT be responsible if something were to go wrong with the car afterwards.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
I think what was meant was that the alternators job is to charge the battery to a given voltage, once at that voltage the amperage rate of charge will drop to maintain said voltage.
Now if things were to go north and mess up, sure a HO alternator certainly will go high enough to weld parts, but a factory alternator can also damage things if it goes bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm also going though this, the rear bearing went in mine. I went to the scrap and bought the same for $60 (toyota wanted $570......:eek: ) I was told to check on average what my req. are and to look at an alterantor from a different car/truck. My stock pushes 90a, If the req. are close I'm thinking about taking one off a 1995 Safari van. Depending on the type. regular Safari's come with about 130a, but if it is extended with towing package (also has dual a/c and heaters) they beef it up to about 160a - 170a making the bracket might be a kick in the ba!!s, but I'm guessing its a lot cheaper to get a rebuilt one then a new HO. Gotta know how much you need first though. If anyone can see a problem with my idea PLEASE tell me, any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
Luc said:
Wow...where did you get this information from? The alternator feeds current to the battery, and current isn't considered part of power?

I agree with eddiem67, before getting a HO alternator, make sure what your power requirements are. If you do feed too much current to the electrical system, there's the potential of electrical problems that could damage the ECU. If you check, most HO alternator manufacturers have a disclaimer indicating they will NOT be responsible if something were to go wrong with the car afterwards.
I meant to say that the alternator doesn't send power out to the applications itself, but of course it sends out power to the battery, it has to charge it :D

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Alts have a voltage regulator so it will never exceed 14V unless it goes bad, but thats with or without a HO alt. So the only way you can fry things if a. you get an alt with a regulator > 14V or b. you dont know what your doing hooking your $hit up.

Downsouth, got your email, looking at your current setup, you DO NOT need a HO alt, my suggestion is buy a new battery ie optima or SVR, and upgrade your big 3, check your connections and make sure nothing is staying on after you turn your car off. Also make sure the amp is grounded correctly.

·
Registered
90 Camry DX'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so I need a new battery... how much do these optima batteries cost? also would a capacitator help to keep from dragging the alt.down so much? also I may sound stupid here but what do you mean by upgrade my big 3? thanks again.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
downsouthdx said:
ok so I need a new battery... how much do these optima batteries cost? also would a capacitator help to keep from dragging the alt.down so much? also I may sound stupid here but what do you mean by upgrade my big 3? thanks again.
As far as pricing.. go to your local auto parts store. No, the capacitor would not help you from draining your battery, but it will help dimming, as it stores energy then uses it when the sound system deems it.

hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Camry DX'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New Alternator

Well...I checked at an audio shop in town last weekend and the guy there referred Dominic Iraggi also. So I called him up and he said he will sell me a 180 amp alternator for $379. He said it is direct bolt on and I could have it in barely over a week I think is what he said. What do you guys think?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
I'd find out if that 130a unit from an 01+ highlander will fit first.
You can get them off car-part.com for 75 and up.
A factory rated 130a will actually put out around the 180, they are very conservative on their ratings

·
Repatriated POW
226 Posts
Bud, your alternator is 14 years old.

Get a rebuilt one, unless youre running some serious SPL setup.

And yes, a spiral coil battery would help as well. Not only is the battery able to charge and discharge frequently, but it takes a FRACTION of the time to charge one than a standard battery.

If it charges in less time, you're less likely to kill it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts