Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone is using the Toyota metal filter housing in place of the stock plastic one? This is specific to the open element oil filter. I don't have much confidence in long term durability of a plastic part vs. aluminum, so for peace of mind I'll be swapping over during my next oil change. Besides, the dealer that provided the first free maintenance oil changes molested one of the ears on my plastic housing and chipped a piece off. Cost for the plastic part is $40+, aluminum is $16+. Surprise! Toyota doesn't even document this as a compatible alternative. This is a common replacement for truck and Rav owners (different p/n's).

Cap.jpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
i switched the highlander and the Rav4 over to the metal cap (would have swapped them over a metal spin on filter if i knew which one would fit their engines.

i switched the iM over from the canister to the spin on filter first oil change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just curious if anyone is using the Toyota metal filter housing in place of the stock plastic one? This is specific to the open element oil filter. I don't have much confidence in long term durability of a plastic part vs. aluminum, so for peace of mind I'll be swapping over during my next oil change. Besides, the dealer that provided the first free maintenance oil changes molested one of the ears on my plastic housing and chipped a piece off. Cost for the plastic part is $40+, aluminum is $16+. Surprise! Toyota doesn't even document this as a compatible alternative. This is a common replacement for truck and Rav owners (different p/n's).

View attachment 304935
yes if you could share the part number, that would be awesome!

·
8,196 Posts
We had MANY owners complaining on plastic housing stuck and requiring huge torque to undo.
I used 2 metal conversions, on 3.5 L engines, and never had that issue.
Hope, this helps

·
Registered
3,211 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
We had MANY owners complaining on plastic housing stuck and requiring huge torque to undo.
I used 2 metal conversions, on 3.5 L engines, and never had that issue.
Hope, this helps
thanks but looking to replace the plastic with aluminum like the OP purchased

·
Registered
379 Posts
really? the stock housing IS made of plastic in the OP's post and he got a replacement made of aluminum. just asking if he has the part number. do you have it? if not let's wait for the OP to respond. thanks
i would have replied with part numbers but not sure if it is the same with your car. the highlander and rav4 i have use the same exact cap so i used the same aluminum replacement cap. the tool used to remove the cap is the same on my 2016 iM, however i just replaced the whole bracket with the spin on filter used for the 2017 corollas and now use spin on filters. have you thought about doing that conversion and just ditch the cartridge filter?

·
8,196 Posts
i just replaced the whole bracket with the spin on filter used for the 2017 corollas

What exactly is that you replaced? Part that housing threads into? To use spin on filter? Is there a retrofit kit for that? Didn't know, that part can be removed and replaced with something else. Looked like part of engine.
Please, be specific.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i just replaced the whole bracket with the spin on filter used for the 2017 corollas

What exactly is that you replaced? Part that housing threads into? To use spin on filter? Is there a retrofit kit for that? Didn't know, that part can be removed and replaced with something else. Looked like part of engine.
Please, be specific.
this thread talks about it and i believe it has the part numbers. it was 90 bucks for the bracket and threaded nut. you will need a very large alan wrench to get the threaded filter nut installed. but it was a super quick instal.

·
8,196 Posts
this thread talks about it and i believe it has the part numbers. it was 90 bucks for the bracket and threaded nut. you will need a very large alan wrench to get the threaded filter nut installed. but it was a super quick instal.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ah, I see. Thank you.
it is well worth the swap. honestly my canister socket would NOT fit the way the corolla/iM has their canister situated. so i'd be cursing it everytime i changed the oil and the second thing is the spin on filters are WAY less expensive than the canister insert so to me it was not even a choice of converting it over or not. plus i had a ton of filters i purchased since the echo i had and prius i had and 3 other cars i have all use the same filter. its the same filter the 2017s use that have the spin on filter so it made since.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,862 Posts

Please, be specific.
Check out post #54 for when I did the conversion on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts