Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters car is coming up to 100K miles and I plan to change out the coolant.
I'm also buying the three large hoses and plan to swap them out at the same time - is this being overly cautious?

In the old days, hoses were fairly unreliable. They would develop eggs and splits and pinholes... has that improved over time or not???

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
The Toyota coolant system overall seems to be good for a long, long time. I recently had a/c work done on my 01 Avalon. I asked the shop to replace the radiator (good idea, because it was seeping at the bottom seam), and left it up to them if they thought it was time to replace the hoses.

This is a shop that doesn't hold back about changing things and charging me for OEM parts. They said the top and bottom radiator hoses were in great shape, no need to replace. And there's nothing soft, bulging or otherwise problematic for any of the hoses on our 03. The hoses on my 01 are now old enough to vote. They're voting for Toyota.

EDIT: just noticed you're in a new-car forum. Keep an eye on the hoses. Toyota seems to have moved into a cost-cutting phase.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
I'd wait til 200,000 miles, maybe even 250,000 miles.

·
Raymond10078
2016 Corolla LE Plus
224 Posts
I agree about the "old days". Hoses failed often is they were old.

Not today. Hoses seem to live a very, very long time.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,490 Posts
I still have the original hoses on my 89 Supercharged MR2, 95 Previa S/C, 2006 xB, 09 Corolla S Turbo, and 10 Prius. I did replace the upper and lower hoses on my daughter's 95 Corolla when I had to replace the radiator. It had over 300k miles so I thought it best since it had 300k miles.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I still have the original hoses on my 89 Supercharged MR2, 95 Previa S/C, 2006 xB, 09 Corolla S Turbo, and 10 Prius. I did replace the upper and lower hoses on my daughter's 95 Corolla when I had to replace the radiator. It had over 300k miles so I thought it best since it had 300k miles.
thansk for sharing

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,490 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'm being a bit too proactive.
I won't change them at the next 2 coolant changes then. Let the new ones go for 150K
I think you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts