Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. New guy. Just looking for informed opinions at this time.
Retired.
Looking for a semi luxury used car. Pretty good size....over 185" and under 200".
Currently running a 2011 Cadillac CTS in our home in Oklahoma and am looking for something here in Florida.
The Caddy has been flawless but I figure I have just been lucky.

Car will only accrue maybe 5000 miles a year and more likely 3K......
Mostly just a grocery getter with a few day trips.
Reliability is just as important as comfort.
Avalon looks good to me....as does the ES350.....But Avalon looks "close enough" to luxury....now the first question....

Is the 3rd gen ok for this? If I find a nice one with......<>75,000 miles......is it still reliable? Or are they getting too old?
Should I go to 4th Gen?

Hope this is clear. Would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi everybody. New guy. Just looking for informed opinions at this time.
Retired.
Looking for a semi luxury used car. Pretty good size....over 185" and under 200".
Currently running a 2011 Cadillac CTS in our home in Oklahoma and am looking for something here in Florida.
The Caddy has been flawless but I figure I have just been lucky.

Car will only accrue maybe 5000 miles a year and more likely 3K......
Mostly just a grocery getter with a few day trips.
Reliability is just as important as comfort.
Avalon looks good to me....as does the ES350.....But Avalon looks "close enough" to luxury....now the first question....

Is the 3rd gen ok for this? If I find a nice one with......<>75,000 miles......is it still reliable? Or are they getting too old?
Should I go to 4th Gen?

Hope this is clear. Would appreciate your thoughts.
If well maintained the Avalons will go a long long way. I have one with 544K on the odometer still going strong and another about to roll over 150k. Just have to do the maintenance. Use quality fluids and parts.

I think of it as a luxury car but that is open to interpretation. It rides better than my mom's Cadillac STS's and I grew up driving those. So I had a good benchmark for what kind of response and feel i wanted as well as ride quality. The third gen avalons have what I call the old man seats. They are more comfortable for the long ride than the 4th gens which have sportier seats. But again everyone likes something different.

So yes if you can find a 3rd gen with a clean maintenance record under 100k miles you will have a good car on your hands. The average transmission on them if maintained is good for 250k to 350k depending on your driving style. My uncle had to replace his at 420k on his last avalon. So that is pretty dang good to me, and he kept it on the recommended maintenance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If well maintained the Avalons will go a long long way. I have one with 544K on the odometer still going strong and another about to roll over 150k. Just have to do the maintenance. Use quality fluids and parts.

I think of it as a luxury car but that is open to interpretation. It rides better than my mom's Cadillac STS's and I grew up driving those. So I had a good benchmark for what kind of response and feel i wanted as well as ride quality. The third gen avalons have what I call the old man seats. They are more comfortable for the long ride than the 4th gens which have sportier seats. But again everyone likes something different.

So yes if you can find a 3rd gen with a clean maintenance record under 100k miles you will have a good car on your hands. The average transmission on them if maintained is good for 250k to 350k depending on your driving style. My uncle had to replace his at 420k on his last avalon. So that is pretty dang good to me, and he kept it on the recommended maintenance.

I had a 2005 Avalon that I recently sold at 161k miles. The main issue with it was that the ride quality started degrading-I could feel the bumps, and that was unpleasant. I wonder if just a change of shocks would have improved the ride. Have you replaced the shocks/struts on yours?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a 2005 Avalon that I recently sold at 161k miles. The main issue with it was that the ride quality started degrading-I could feel the bumps, and that was unpleasant. I wonder if just a change of shocks would have improved the ride. Have you replaced the shocks/struts on yours?
Yes the struts get replaced usually every one hundred thousand. I leave that to the mechanics discretion when they do the evaluation of the car. But when I start feeling every little thing then its time to replace the struts front and rear to smooth everything back out. South Carolina roads are pretty rough so the wear on them is a bit increased over say Maryland where the roads are a smoother ride. Your driving conditions will dictate some of that. If you feel it in the wheel its the front that needs replacing, and if you feel it in the seat its the rear has always been my rule of thumb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts