Toyota Nation Forum banner

Am I wrong for wanting to kill my wife?

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  thegreydog 
#1 ·
Ok heres my scenario my wife is 7 months preagnaet expecting our first baby. I just had a big talk with her last week telling her to cut her not necesary expenses, becauce we need to save some money. I'm working overtime saturday and I'm wondering to myself if I should splurge on a car wash since I'm making a lil extra money and the taco took a beating with all the salt, wifey calls me and tells me she bought a TV. I'm burning up becauce I'm thinking she bought the one that she was looking at in the 6th ave circular for $800 and I told her hell no!! I come home I see a huge beautiful TV and I'm thinking this is to nice for $800 I see a receipt on the table for $2,386.07 My wife got suckered into buying the high end one by the sales guy. I went belestic (she wasnt home) threw it in the box drive to 6th ave and they tel me they dont take returns on anything over 36". Corporate is closed, but hopefully I can beg them to take it back and get hit with a restocking fee. I work for a Company that owns an A/V company so I can get any comercial grade LCD for below retail if I wanted one. Sorry tp make this so long but I have to vent some where becauce she cant afford to pay this that means I'm stuck with another bill and I dont know about u guys but I'm happier watching the game on my sony wega flat screen sitting on $2.500. Am I being an @$$ Hole about this or is it just me?

#2 ·
Unless hormones made her get the tube, I'd say I would be pretty pissed off as well!

#3 · (Edited)
I'm with you. I'd be pissed. Very pissed.
But be careful with a pregnant woman. Very careful!

#5 ·
+1! This calls for a serious talk! But refer to my other post above.

#6 ·
The thing is she has no money management skills at all. I'm not a preacher so I let her handle her money hoping that falling on her face will wake her up. I'm trying to contain myself in front of her becauce I know it affects the baby. Saturday she came home was pissed at me becauce I wanted to return the damn thing! After a talk and she realized how much money the damn thing was she broke out into tears wawawa. Ok fast forward to today she's now mad at me becauce "stops messing with trying to return it lets just keep it"

#7 ·
I'm not married, but if I was and my wife did that, I'd be livid. But, that's probably why I'm not married...I make my own rules and control my own finances. Hopefully, you can get it worked out with the store management...and your wife.

#8 ·
I know I got problems the thing is she doesnt freaking think. She went in there to look at the $800 tv salesguy says no thats crap u dont want that we have 0% financing for a year on this nice big shiny one lets apply for the credit card, and shes too retarded too say no. Her awnswer was I thought when u came home and saw it you would be happy with the suprise. In reality I actualy smashed my cell phone into 50 thousand pieces, I really wanted (and still do) to smash the freaking TV

#10 ·
Yeah but as much as I'm pissed at him cus he is a dick. I really cant be salesmen are hustlers they see some one vulnerable they go for the kill. They work off of commision at 6th ave, a friend of mine worked there back in the highschool days, but I dont even have an idea if corporate will help me out or not.

#11 ·
Time for her to get a job, or a second job if she already has one. I'd be royally pissed off.....

I explain to my wife that it's not so much about what things cost now, it is what that money, if invested, would be worth in 20-30 years....and what it means for our retirement.

$2500 now is worth $150,000 in 30 years time.... TV now, or SL500 convertible mercedes at retirement.... ;)

#14 ·
I'm not going to give you advice on the TV situation but it is an indication of things that will go wrong in the future. Money is the #1 thing married people fight about.
Household expenses are both of your responsibilities. You asked her to watch what she spends and she decides to spend $2400.00 without discussing with you at all. She sounds a little immature if she actually thought you were going to be pleased. A new 'free' TV is a pleasant surprise not a $2400.00 bill for a TV you didn't want.
My wife doesn't spend more than about $200.00 without discussing it with me and it's the same for me. We both work. We have one bank account and she pays the bills. It took about 5 years of marriage to get to this point but we are both happier for it. We never fight about money.
Sit down together and go over all expenses and income. Show her on paper how much money comes in, how much has to go out and what is left over. After the baby is born go over it again. If she is not paying the bills she may have no idea of what these numbers really are.
Good luck. If you have to keep the TV get over it. Don't hold a grudge.

#16 ·
I'm a financial advisor, but that's not why I'm writing. I'm writing to tell you my story. My wife and I got married and I did a very smart thing when we did. She wasn't working at the time but I was. I was knocking down about 70, 29 yrs old 27 yr old wife. Wife didn't have much of a father growing up so no money management skills. I have a BS in Financial Planning and been in the industry since 1994. Anyway, I tell her we have three accounts. 1 joint, 1 in her name only, 1 in my name only. No matter where money comes from...sell an asset, earn a paycheck, whatever...it all goes into joint. We pay all bills from joint including credit card and make our savings contribution from there. Then (and this is the point), we split 50/50 anything left over. It's an equal partnership, Hill Incorporated. In 9 years of marriage we have fought 1 time over money.

Anyway, 1st time we get paid as a couple, she goes out and blows her $200 and I keep most of mine. Two days later, she says she doesn't have any money. I told her I'd take care of stuff if she needed it. I further told her we weren't broke, we just had to wait until we got paid again. Next payday comes and the light goes on in her head. That time we had about $260 each and it lasted her the whole pay period until we got paid again. Oh yeah, a rule is that you can spend the money however you want with no questions asked. It has worked great since.

We have been flush and broke in our nine years together. When I started my own practice, she was the one brining in the money and she never once complained. When we got married she didn't work for 6 months because her dad was sick. We were in it together, thick and thin, Hill partnership.

I worry a lot about marriages struggling with money. PM me if I can help.

Craig

#18 ·
Sorry Loco! Hope you can work this issue out I know its something I need to work out with myself... lol I spend my money stupidly sometimes too and if I would just consult myself before I did it uh.. I'd still have a stock truck. Never mind I'll just keep on doin my thing

PS I got the $800 tv

#22 ·
Thank God my wife and I have an agreement to consult each other on purchases greater than $100...But this has stopped either of use from buying several items that are $99 each :lol: I actually just bought a 46" Sharp Aqous for $900 with her approval :thumbsup: (not to rub it in :D)

#23 ·
Thats what my wife bought as well the 46" Sharp Aqous but the D64 series one for $1,700. I went into the store and looked at them she bought the D64 series and the had the D 43 series which looks exactly the same to me (resolution is 769P instead of 1080p, whatever that means) for $1,200 and i think it had one less hdmi input.

#26 ·
Dude, that sucks! We had our little girl before we got married. I was freaking out at first, but it is really not that bad once the baby gets here. Mine is only 8 months old and my wife still goes through the hormonal stuff. I would just push for the return of the tv until everything balances out. We are a little different than most of you guys situations though, my wife backs me in all of my decisions, so when the 36 inch tv went out, I said honey I am going to pickup a tv this afternoon, being a stay at home mom, this is important, she said ok, I came home with a surround sound and a 58 inch DLP, sorry, I had to say that! All shit aside, Good luck, but I promise you it does get better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.