Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SE 2018. When I drive in city I get around 39-40mpg. Highway up to those numbers you see. I don’t understand how because it’s the basic SE trim. Not hybrid. After 30000 miles my car started becoming so much more economic. I floor it way too often and those numbers look like 39-40mpg. In city I’ve dropped 31-34mpg but because I was hammering that pedal.
E505EE86-AA4E-4BB1-90F5-37104BB126BC.png FD7D367E-57DB-467F-8C78-5A54F5A046F7.jpeg

I’m planning to get an AEM cold air intake and I know that’ll get me more MPG. Idk how much though. And I’d like to get catbacks like on the XSE.

But I wanted the XSE v6 but with this gas mileage it’s hard lol. I love more power but I’m enjoying the fuel economy so much. I use premium fuel and again it’s the basic SE trim. Just wanted to share the excitement lol.
F9D9BB4B-E22B-4D9E-A493-51DFC5234F69.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your MPG numbers are amazing. MY 2018 LE gets 46-47MPG on flat interstate driving 70-75 MPH. Overall, I get 41MPG 150 mile of city, and 450 mile of interstate driving. For about 600 miles, fill up takes only 14 gallons. It has been very consistent after 5K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your MPG numbers are amazing. MY 2018 LE gets 46-47MPG on flat interstate driving 70-75 MPH. Overall, I get 41MPG 150 mile of city, and 450 mile of interstate driving. For about 600 miles, fill up takes only 14 gallons. It has been very consistent after 5K miles.
Those numbers look amazing too though!

Yea, my tank takes about 14 gallons as well. Another weird thing, when I first had it it would only reach about 440 miles per full tank and could push it up to 464-484. But now after I’ve noticed these changes on my mpg I also noticed my car gets an avg of 520 miles at a full tank.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Only the base model L has a 14.5 gal fuel tank capacity. The rest of the models arw 16 gallons.

My XSE 4 cyl average 40 mpg with this summer blend.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those numbers look amazing too though!

Yea, my tank takes about 14 gallons as well. Another weird thing, when I first had it it would only reach about 440 miles per full tank and could push it up to 464-484. But now after I’ve noticed these changes on my mpg I also noticed my car gets an avg of 520 miles at a full tank.
Your 2018 SE has a fuel tank capacity of 16 gallons. You state that you get an average of 520 miles from a full tank. That's 32.5 mpg.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
61 and 64 MPH average, at such speeds my 2012 Camry was doing up to 45+ MPG "paper calculated". Low constant speed always the most economical way to drive. On the way to FL at 65 MPH my Avalon was showing 38-41 MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your 2018 SE has a fuel tank capacity of 16 gallons. You state that you get an average of 520 miles from a full tank. That's 32.5 mpg.
Yea, you’re right. I filled up today and realized it was 16 gallons lol.

But that wouldn’t be the numbers. I just recently drove home 60 miles according to gps, my tank only had 62miles left before empty, but when I got home I still had 20 miles. So it drove 60miles on 40miles of gas. Which I don’t understand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yea, you’re right. I filled up today and realized it was 16 gallons lol.

But that wouldn’t be the numbers. I just recently drove home 60 miles according to gps, my tank only had 62miles left before empty, but when I got home I still had 20 miles. So it drove 60miles on 40miles of gas. Which I don’t understand.
It's giving you an estimate of your remaining range based on your average mpg, you're just beating that average thus traveling further than expected?

·
1,626 Posts
Use the miles until empty as a reference.

*3: This distance is computed based on your average fuel consumption. As a result, the actual distance that can be driven may differ from that dis- played.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an SE 2018. When I drive in city I get around 39-40mpg. Highway up to those numbers you see. I don’t understand how because it’s the basic SE trim. Not hybrid. After 30000 miles my car started becoming so much more economic. I floor it way too often and those numbers look like 39-40mpg. In city I’ve dropped 31-34mpg but because I was hammering that pedal.
View attachment 281525 View attachment 281524

I’m planning to get an AEM cold air intake and I know that’ll get me more MPG. Idk how much though. And I’d like to get catbacks like on the XSE.

But I wanted the XSE v6 but with this gas mileage it’s hard lol. I love more power but I’m enjoying the fuel economy so much. I use premium fuel and again it’s the basic SE trim. Just wanted to share the excitement lol.
View attachment 281526
I think you probably have the Toyota Dynamic Force (2.5L?) engine. This newer design is supposed to have over 40% thermal efficiency which translates to better gas mileage than earlier engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 281525 View attachment 281524

View attachment 281526
You already have a very good high flow air filter from the factory. Upgrading probably will not help. There are different types of air filters based on the model of your car. I bought a filter for a 2.5 LE. Same size, different density. On my SE 2.5 it runs quieter with no mileage difference. I have had up to 56 mpg in the Sacramento Valley at 65mph. Mostly 39+ hwy which is fine for such a large car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For those of you with I4s that are getting 40+ (or especially 50+) MPG per trip, please post a pic showing the average speed and trip time. I'm tracking this info for my own car (for science!) and would love to have data from others as well. I'm also measuring it the old-fashioned way to see if the numbers match what the car is telling me.

I've been wanting to start a thread about this actually because it's fascinating to me how easily many of us are beating the factory MPG ratings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
For those of you with I4s that are getting 40+ (or especially 50+) MPG per trip, please post a pic showing the average speed and trip time. I'm tracking this info for my own car (for science!) and would love to have data from others as well. I'm also measuring it the old-fashioned way to see if the numbers match what the car is telling me.

I've been wanting to start a thread about this actually because it's fascinating to me how easily many of us are beating the factory MPG ratings.
Dont be fooled by the Average MPG by the computer. I too can achieve 50 mpg. But when you go fill up at the gas tank, there is no way the math will be 50 mpg. The best I had ever gotten is 40 mpg. That is using miles divide by gallons. That is 1 mpg more than factory mpg specs. Unless you get gas that has no ethanol + grandma driving style, you can probably get 40+ mpg. Not 50.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dont be fooled by the Average MPG by the computer. I too can achieve 50 mpg. But when you go fill up at the gas tank, there is no way the math will be 50 mpg. The best I had ever gotten is 40 mpg. That is using miles divide by gallons. That is 1 mpg more than factory mpg specs. Unless you get gas that has no ethanol + grandma driving style, you can probably get 40+ mpg. Not 50.
Hence my comment about also measuring it the old-fashioned way. I planned to start taking this seriously at 5K miles which I just passed this week.

·
South of the north pole
110 Posts
For me, XSE 4 Cyl, with about 10 000 Km. I am consistently getting 700km on a 51/52l fill up. The dash shows 7.5l/100km though. That's 32 mpg US or 38 mpg imperial for the blokes out there

·
Registered
44 Posts
You already have a very good high flow air filter from the factory. Upgrading probably will not help. There are different types of air filters based on the model of your car. I bought a filter for a 2.5 LE. Same size, different density. On my SE 2.5 it runs quieter with no mileage difference. I have had up to 56 mpg in the Sacramento Valley at 65mph. Mostly 39+ hwy which is fine for such a large car.
Correct, those K&N filters let more air in and more dirt.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts