Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 XSE (4cy) and this past weekend I needed to travel for a church function...about 220 miles round trip. As I was not in any hurry, I decided to see what MPG I could attain. I WAS AMAZED!

44.2 MPG on the return trip
44.9 MPG (composite) on both trips

Here's the pictures to prove it!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
That sounds excellent but sorry that MPG display may not be accurate. You can calculate average mpg by looking at the miles you have driven divided by the amount of gas added to your car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That sounds excellent but sorry that MPG display may not be accurate. You can calculate average mpg by looking at the miles you have driven divided by the amount of gas added to your car.
I've been diligently tracking this on my Camry and the car MPG display is on average 1.2mpg higher than actual MPG. It was within 0.2 mpg a few times. The largest MPG difference I saw was 45.4 dash vs 42.5 actual.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The best mpg I have ever gotten on average was 42 mpg on summer blend gas. XSE 4 cyl.

That is based on doing a full fill up, miles divided gallons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been diligently tracking this on my Camry and the car MPG display is on average 1.2mpg higher than actual MPG. It was within 0.2 mpg a few times. The largest MPG difference I saw was 45.4 dash vs 42.5 actual.
Good. You must be a great driver(?). Many factors play a role in achieving a high MPG. Highway vs city. Another one is, if I drive 65 mph on the highway all the way, I would have a higher MPG. Over 70-80 mph I know that I will face a lower MPG. So there is a correlation between speed and mpg.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good. You must be a great driver(?). Many factors play a role in achieving a high MPG. Highway vs city. Another one is, if I drive 65 mph on the highway all the way, I would have a higher MPG. Over 70-80 mph I know that I will face a lower MPG. So there is a correlation between speed and mpg.
Yes, for sure. That 42.5 actual was 100% highway with the cruise control set at 65, which is probably pretty close to optimal MPG conditions. My overall average is closer to 25 due to a lot of stop-and-go traffic, plus winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great mpg,s for sure
My last car was a 2013 Corolla I got 37 consistently now with my 2019 Camry 42. All highway

Could not be happier

·
Registered
24 Posts
That’s my commute. Probably 10 miles city driving out of the 118.9 And the other picture is only highway miles. I must say on the highway the mpg is awesome driving in San Francisco I can’t get more than 19-21 MPG. Highly recommend turning the cruise control off.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That’s my commute. Probably 10 miles city driving out of the 118.9 And the other picture is only highway miles. I must say on the highway the mpg is awesome driving in San Francisco I can’t get more than 19-21 MPG. Highly recommend turning the cruise control off.
All things being equal, you’ll get better fuel economy using cruise control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All things being equal, you’ll get better fuel economy using cruise control.
Again, strongly disagree. Cruise control is not smart enough to predict uphills/downhills. I can bet my car that on my way to work(30miles) ill do better mpg than my car. Just because I know exactly how to drive - where use more gas and where to release the gas. On downhills on CC set to 65 mph the car will downshift so it can engine break. While I could just let it use its inertia up to 70mph and use slight breaking. try it for yourself and you will see the CC will downshift to 5-6 gear and make 25 mpg just because of a slight 1/9 mile uphill. While you can predict it and apply little bit of gas and stay on 8th gear and still make 40+ mpg.
i agree, perfectly flat surface probably CC will do batter mpg, on a regular basis it’s not gonna happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts