Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi—2008 Highlander Limited with 250,000 wonderful miles. Wood appliqué and upgraded to KENWOOD Apple CarPlay/Nav system. Windows tinted throughout. Trailer hitch and custom-made cargo screen door. Love my car! There is a tiny bulb in the middle of the two overhead interior lights that emits a soft amber light on the console. It burned out ages ago. I’ve switched out all interior lights with LED, but can’t figure how to get to this little bugger. Can’t find it on any diagrams, and I know I’m not crazy. (Okay, when it comes to my car, anyway.) The only other bulbs I want to replace are the side ones, but that’s far more work than I’m capable of. ABF20A6E-7856-4347-B510-30DD47713EA9.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Prius, 2012 Prius, 2012 Highlander Hybrid Limited
16 Posts
urkoz, most of the pictures were just glam shots for our benefit. (They looked great, tracewok!) He's looking to replace an interior light. Specifically, the always-on "mood light" above the center console.

Your link is to a thread about converting rear end lights to LED, but I don't see anything in there about interior lights.

There's an omnibus thread on ALL LED ALL THE TIME, and, even there, I can't find entries for the tiny light sandwiched between the main map lights (which is, of course, already LED).

Tracewok: don't do this. It's a lot of effort for something you probably don't miss that much.

But if you do decide to get at that tiny light, you'll have to pull down the entire map light assembly, separate the body of the assembly from its circuit board, and possibly remove a soldered-in light from said circuit board. Here's what the back end of the assembly looks like:

Here's where I got that glamor shot:

Honestly, I'd replace the whole unit before cracking it open. (Though I would almost certainly choose to do neither.)

Choose wisely.

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Are you sure, Mid?
c/p from his post:
The only other bulbs I want to replace are the side ones, but that’s far more work than I’m capable of.
Followed by two pictures of his vehicle rear end. Not of the 'tiny little ambient light" in the overhead console.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
urkoz, most of the pictures were just glam shots for our benefit. (They looked great, tracewok!) He's looking to replace an interior light. Specifically, the always-on "mood light" above the center console.

Your link is to a thread about converting rear end lights to LED, but I don't see anything in there about interior lights.

There's an omnibus thread on ALL LED ALL THE TIME, and, even there, I can't find entries for the tiny light sandwiched between the main map lights (which is, of course, already LED).

Tracewok: don't do this. It's a lot of effort for something you probably don't miss that much.

But if you do decide to get at that tiny light, you'll have to pull down the entire map light assembly, separate the body of the assembly from its circuit board, and possibly remove a soldered-in light from said circuit board. Here's what the back end of the assembly looks like:

View attachment 331870

Honestly, I'd replace the whole unit before cracking it open. (Though I would almost certainly choose to do neither.)

Choose wisely.
Thanks for your understanding of what light I was referring to. Others haven’t been able to see it even. I’ll do what you suggest, which is nothing. I can live without it, but it was a nice feature and I noticed it as soon as it went off. I popped the plastic cover off the center to expose the ambient bulb housing, but that is recessed and I figured it would be far more work to mess with it.

Again, I appreciate your reply and honest suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

View attachment 331870

Choose wisely.
Sorry, I responded to someone else in this thread, meaning it for you. Please read down, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I didn’t mean the front side light, I meant the “puddle” lights, underneath the side view mirrors. (New to understanding all the car parts.) From what I’ve found, they’re difficult to get at, that’s why I mentioned they would be too hard for me to do. I’d love to have LED lamps in those, though.

·
Registered
2003 Prius, 2012 Prius, 2012 Highlander Hybrid Limited
16 Posts
Are you sure, Mid?
c/p from his post:
The only other bulbs I want to replace are the side ones, but that’s far more work than I’m capable of.
Followed by two pictures of his vehicle rear end. Not of the 'tiny little ambient light" in the overhead console.
You ain't wrong -- he talked a lot about other stuff and none of the pictures were of the problem part, but:

Thanks for all you do. I just wanted to pipe up with my findings.

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Well, you are referring to one part of his post, I am referring to another. He is referring to something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts